Once the "tactical" and "hard use" fad fades, what will be the next "big thing" be?

Carl! I don't think I've ever seen you outside the Traditional forum. :)

Next big "thing" in the knife industry? It'll be in two areas, I think. I've been giving this whole topic a lot of thought lately.

I'm hoping one area will be in good quality, less expensive multi-tools. It's already happening to some extent: Leatherman Wingman, Copilot, etc. are good examples.

I also think the Traditional patterns (slipjoints) will make a comeback, but with more modern materials. Case has a few models with G10, yellow & black Delrin, and other synthetics in their lineup, some of which have been sold for years. (They recently re-introduced their Two-blade Folding Hunter in yellow Delrin.)

GEC has been producing some really nice pieces in acrylic scale materials too.

~Chris

I see a big market in these two areas as well. Imagine really well made traditional slip joints but with the best steels and newest handle materials. Now that would be cool...

idk i think the goverment is moving towards no1 being able to carry anything so i think the future holds a bunch of pissed off knife owners

What government? In the USA, the general trend is actually going the opposite direction. Several states have already, or are in the process of repealing bans or lifting restrictions on knives. There are a couple states/cities that have gone more restrictive (Boston, NYC), but besides those examples, things are trending towards less restrictions.

Because of that, I don't see the "tactical" fad fading, but rather see it getting stronger. In the past couple of years, millions of people who were previously unable to own/carry autos and balisongs are now allowed to. That's more and more new markets for the companies that produce those knives.

At the same time, I also see a backlash against "tactical", and more people going to traditional "old timey" knives, if only because I've already done just that. People will realize that they don't need a lock strong enough to jack a car up for a tire change, or a tip thick enough to pry open a tank, or a supersteel that requires sharpening equipment that costs more than the knife they're sharpening, and that a Case Stockman does everything they want a knife to do.

I think our technology in locks and so forth will remain, but folders might get "prettier", maybe less G10 and more sculpted aluminum, or maybe dressier scale materials.

Something I'm seeing in the forums that might become a new trend is EDC of small fixed blades.

Tactical and hard-use are just terms that describe a series of features meant to improve usability and durability. It ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

lol not little girl knives, i mean like you notice all the new cold steels are now thinner lighter weight no nested steel, you no the voyager recon ak 47.
I think that the nested steel liners are gonna phase out, just my opinion

Because cold steel is leading the way to the future of the knife industry.... haha

I don't know where we're headed, but I'll tell you what I'd like to see more of. Thin handled folders with scales made from natural materials paired up with either the latest in super steels or professionally forged and finished carbon blades with beautiful visible hamon lines.

What government? In the USA, the general trend is actually going the opposite direction. Several states have already, or are in the process of repealing bans or lifting restrictions on knives. There are a couple states/cities that have gone more restrictive (Boston, NYC), but besides those examples, things are trending towards less restrictions.

Arizona rules!

Being a maker of forged blades, I surely hope that they catch on with the much larger tactical market like you say, but from what i have experienced, most people aren't willing to pay for the work that goes into a knife like you describe unless it comes from the shop of a smith who is already famous. The ABS has arguably done its job too well and there are just too many guys making those types of knives for the market to support at this time. A basic 7 inch carbon steel forged fighter in a simple sheath will, in theory, sell today for about the same money, as the $375 that I gave Joe Flournoy for one with no JS or MS stamp at the Guild Show in Orlando in 1991-92. That is, if you can find someone who will pay you $375. There are WAY too many people with a pretty fair degree of natural talent and access to a lot of advice and training who seem to be willing to essentially give away their work. Add to that the fact that many people who buy nice forged knives with hamons are looking at them as collectables and that makes things worse. If you don't plan to use the knife and you can't sell it for more next year, why buy it?
I think (or hope) that companies like Bark River have kind of hit the nail on the head with nice well finished fairly traditional looking small/medium bushcraft/outdoors/survival knives made with one of the "super steels" like CPM 3V that sell in the low to mid $200's range. That is pricey for many folks, but not really a huge step up from the rougher 1095 or 5160 knives that you see so often these days selling for anywhere from $75 to over $200. Something like a Bark River Bravo 1 can appeal to both people coming from the tactical side without looking 'tacticool" and also folks from the bushcraft side without having to look rough or primitive in order to be considered "authentic"
I don't know where we're headed, but I'll tell you what I'd like to see more of. Thin handled folders with scales made from natural materials paired up with either the latest in super steels or professionally forged and finished carbon blades with beautiful visible hamon lines.

Last edited:
I, too, would like to see growing trend for light and thin blades. At this moment, seems that thin knives are more "special" blades with higher pricetag.
Also traditionals. In hi-tech society, and retro/vintage being still hot, people want something warm and fuzzy so to speak.

Electronic technology will definitely be applied to knives. There will be something akin to a laser or other type of electronic edge able to make an extremely fine cut. Blades as we know them will no longer be necessary.

I can see slipjoints growing but at the same time if my main folder is going to have size dimensions with room for a lock based on ergonomics...might as well have one in there and might as well be as good as possible since you never know what the day will bring. A beefy Sodbuster type with well-textured handle that has an index finger indentation would be pretty cool - maybe with user-replaceable scales.

Definitely wouldn't want to have a pencil shaped 3-3 1/2" handle as a main work/field folder though, it would work as it did for decades, but so did horse and cart.

I'd love to see a folding food prep knife. Super thin, ultra lite, high end steel like m390 about 4-5 inches with an axis or compression lock.

Traditional designs are making a huge comeback, just this past month Traddy town converted me from tacticals to traditionals, and many more are right behind me. I love how elegant traditional knives are, the materials, looks, feel, everything. And bushcrafting knives along the line of BRKT and the bigger machetes and such are huge now.

Light sabers. In other words, I think 'hardcore knives thing' will last as long as there are people needing a knife design to make them feel better about themselves, which is a long time. The mall ninjas, Rambos and Bear Grylls' will be around for a while with constant supply of new cool-looking gimmicks (as well as useful items) to boost the sales.

I don't think the tactical thing is a trend; it's more a progression. Traditionals are nice, but so-called "tactical" designs like the Spyderco PM2, ZT 0550, BM Adamas ect offer better steel, quality, ergos, and have the convenience of one-hand opening and a lock. The design is simpler and more functional IMO if you don't mind giving up a little more pocket space. There will always be a place for tradtionals, but the modern folder isn't going the way of the dinosaur any time soon.

I think the SAK will still have it's place, maybe with a few upgrades in materials.

The overbuilt and 'tactical' folders are here to stay for at least the next 5 years imo. We are winding down on Iraq and Afghan but we're never really that far away from another hot spot. We live in a society where everyone is exposed to the military through the media, war (if you want it to be) is in your front room on your tv or computer every night, that'll take a long time to forget about.

For me I'd like to see the combination of new technologies in manufacturing and materials combined with some very good and clean design. A sort of 21st century gentleman's folder.

Back