One brick forge

I was inspired by all the great knifemakers on W&SS to try my hand at forging some small blades and stuff using the one brick forge technique in Goddard's $50 Knife Shop book. I bought the anvil on e-bay, but the rest of the stuff I already had. I used coil spring stock from car and garage door springs for materials and finished them on a Delta 1" x 30" with 50-120-220 and finally 400 grit. My skills leave a lot to be desired, but it's a lot of fun! Except for the grinder you can take this shop anywhere without too much trouble. It'll be nice to work in the backyard this fall. Check out the photos.

Jeff

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Very neat! Care to show what you did to the brick? I'm interested.

The bricks are very easily bored out with 1" bit. The first bore goes end to end and the second in the middle of the face, just to the depth of first bore. You can also wrap the brick with wire to help keep it together longer. It will crack from the heat fairly quickly.

Jeff

very sweet stuff right there. i still want to get together a forge of some kind...that looks like something i could do with what i have around. i have something for an anvil, just really need a place to make metal hot.

i'll have to check that book out.

sweet knives there, looks like a good job.

Very cool!!! I love seeing someone give it a shot! Your first look at least as good as mine did!

Please e-mail me the 411 on your ebay anvil dealer. Does the hammer rebound? Lots of questions!

Andy,

The anvil has some spirit to it, but it's about what you would expect for the $. The base of it is cast junk metal with about 1/2" of good stuff on the top. It works OK for my purposes, but I wouldn't recommend it to a professional knife maker. Like you for instance. :D I got the thing about a year ago on a whim... believe it or not it shipped from Russia for $110 total cost including freight!

Jeff

Back