One-Hand Trekker vs. Vic German Army Knife

I bought a few Victorinox One-Hand Trekker knives on sale for $12.48 at Target this week and see that they have the same profile and blade assortment of this German military issue army knive made by Victorinox:

http://www.countycomm.com/swiss.htm

The only difference I can tell from the photo is that the German army version lacks a toothpick and tweezers and the scale bears a different logo.

From what I've read, they're exactly the same.

I wish I knew they had them so cheap at target, I just bought one on ebay for $30. The person selling them says all profits go to a non profit organization that helps sick cats though, so I guess it's not a loss. Also, it had a black blade, which is cool.

I think this green-handles one is the new version German Army knife...

I have the older one, the German officer version, 4" CLOSED with the Mauser logo, green plastic scales, two fantastic Solingen blades (one 3" spear point, one 3" clip point,marked Mauser-werke, Oberndorf ), very sharp wood saw,(man in shop cut himself opening it to show me!), file, cap lifter, screwdriver, 2" long punch and corkscrew. I got this several years ago for a trip to Chile. It has been around the world a few times since. It is still scary sharp and I have only once had to sharpen the spear point blade. Real quality.
If I knew how to post pics, I would.

Old Mauser marked GAK?
I've never had the pleasure of handling one.
Looks to be a cool piece to have.
What an amazing variation of markings too.
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=35

As for the new GAK. I like its 'Spyderco-type' hole-in-the-blade feature. But its a known fact that a great number of them do exhibit a tendency of having a less than perfect solid lock-up. In that it wiggles slightly. But I guess that doesn't really effect its locking properties in a big way? Would be good advise to get one at least for the SAK military collection!

I just wish Victorinox would make a one handed opener with a Plain Edge instead of that part Sarrated thing!

The Mauser knife really is good.... I carry it whenever I am out hiking or camping and it cuts like you would not believe.
It is large, fits my hands well, but is light to carry. Very useful and that saw is very very sharp.

Last week, I called in at an outdoor shop I know and they are offering standard 1980s GAKs for only £6.50 ( about 12 dollars?) each, brand new and unused.

I am wondering whether I should get one or two.......

RickJ said:
I just wish Victorinox would make a one handed opener with a Plain Edge instead of that part Sarrated thing!
Don't worry about it. Get a Trekker or GAK, use it a lot, sharpen it as if it wasn't serrated, and before you know it, it won't be! ;)

Back