One hander Dependence?

Who on this forum has come to feel that they have to carry a one-hander all the time? I admit that I had become somewhat dependent on my one handers even though for years I got along just fine without one. Lately, I have made it a point just to carry a traditional slipjoint or lockback simply because I do not like the idea of feeling that I need to have any particular tool to function. Today my EDC is my little Bailey Bradshaw stockman and my P.J. Tomes moose. No I can't whip it out in a second, but I can get to them if I need them. Anybody else felt a need to dial back on one-hander carry?

I couldn't resist buying a Case Stag Wharncliff, it was just beautiful with a very nice Wharncliff blade, about 3 weeks ago.

I carried it to work every day for a week, sans a one-hander.

I am back to carrying a WH Spearpoint on my strong side and my Case on the left side (I am a rightie).

No dialing back here - one handers really ARE a convenience after all, even if just for cutting an apple at lunch.

Anthony, I think the answer to your question depends on your age.

If you're an old fart like me then I've gotten so used to the multi
blades offered by a slipjoint and the ease of use of a lockback that
I don't really relate to one handers. To me they are mostly single
purpose and , pardon me , dumb. It boils down to what your
generation grew up with.

It makes absolutly no sense to me to carry any knife that has just
one blade when there are better choices available. Who REALLY
needs the speed of a pocket clipped one hander other than the
para-medics , police and firemen?? I sure don't. And for those
folk's an automatic is legal. So what Joe Everybody carries is a
simple matter of choice and what is the most useful to him.

The fact that almost all one handers are marketed with a para
military twist on the advertizments helps sell the drug store
cowboy in all of us. Well, I got over falling of the counter
stool and started buying and carrying what I really like once
more.

I came back home to my slipjoints again and it really feels good.

Tightwad. It's kinda like coming home after being gone for a while ain't it.
Greg

Have made my way back to the knives that I loved as a youth. I went through the tactical thing and the one handers, but now the knives I favor are hunters, bowies, lockbacks and slipjoints. Not putting down other kinds of knives, they just aren't for me any longer.

I was going to post a thread asking why we all favor slipjoints, this seems to run a long a similar track. For me a slipjoint seems to have so much character, even a run of the mill, factory issue seems to have a personality that a tactical black on black knife lacks, There is also a certain amount of history behind each pattern - maybe we are yearning for when life was simpler, less ruled by technology. They are also practical in size, easy to sharpen and the asthetics on even the factory knives can be a real knockout.

I second Doc Van's feelings. My "tactical" one-handed folders have been relegated to the box in the closet on the upper shelf. I have been carrying a camillus stockman since I got it and really like the aesthetics and utility of it. Yep, it's only a cheapy, but it is sharp and has three appropriately sized blades to choose from. I use this as an everyday tool, not whippin' it out to perforate bad-guys.
I enjoy just looking at it, and finding things to cut. I can't wait till the mail comes, just so I can take out my stockman to open mail! By getting this "starter" stockman, I am now exploring getting a fancier one, maybe stag if I can find it. It also leads to exploring the various other patterns. One of you guys now has me looking for a wharncliff whittler... THANKS! Now, I look at collections like Gus' and Nifrand's and think, yep... I need this pattern in jigged bone, stag, MOP, etc. etc. I hope my wife understands!:rolleyes:
Roiling with slipjoint fever, Mongo

Mongo
I am big stockman fan too and am planning it to be the focus of my slipjoint collection (don't want other patterns to feel left out though :) ). The pics of those wharncliffe whittlers got me a thinkin' too. I second that about Gus and Nifrand's pics - you guys will bankrupt us!!! My EDC is Kissing Crane 3 blade stockman, got it for about $30. As step up may I suggest Queen or Schatt and Morgan. I was a good boy (apparently) so for my birthday my wife bought me a S&M ATS 34 stockman. Great walk and talk and just an all round great knife.

Mongo , Doc, You might want to postpone your next stockman
purchase until the new D-2 Queen's arrive at dealers. As I've said
before I really like my Camillus made Buck 307 stockman but,
after getting Bob Dozier blade a couple of years ago, I've wanted
a D-2 folder since then. I know Queen quality and now D-2.......
Oh Yessssss, a marrige made in knife heaven........

As much as I like my slim traditional Case
in the pocket, I'll probably never give up
the locking feature of a knife. I've had
a knfe blade fold onto my hand too many times
to ever go back. So, my Case has the Copperlock
feature which is a basic lockback style like
Spyderco has.

I wonder,... do other traditional slipjoints
have locking blades?

An inexpensive traditional style lockback is made by Western. It features 2.5" plain and serrated clip point blades. There is another version with clip point and skinning blades. If you don't mind spending some money, P.J. Tomes makes some great traditional style knives with locking blades like his double lock moose (I have one), his lock and slip joint peanut, and his soon to be released small Remington style Bullet single blade lockback.

Hi everybody... My name is Martin and I am addicted to 'one-handers'.

*insert response here* :p

but seriously folks...

Ok... I'm not into the tactical knife stuff... I mean it all looks cool.. for the first 5 minutes in the shop... then it all goes downhill very rapidly for me. I went through my tanto phase and I dare say that I regret that now... but back to the point...

my EDC is an SOG Winder II. I have been carry it around for... oh, a few years now. I tried out a few other more traditional lockbacks... but just never like having to use my left thumbnail to pull a blade out. It seems so... cumbersome.

I just very much like the convenience of being able to open a knife with one hand. So much so that nowadays I find the way I do my cutting chores often involve my left hand 'in position' while my right extracts my knife from the horizontal carry sheath... and bring it into the zone of my left hand... know what I mean?

It's become so much seond nature to me that I hardly seem to think about getting the knife out and deploying it... it's so damn convenient. Maybe it's just the way my brain is wired... I just can't seem to get used to having to use 2 hands to open my knife.

I'm not really after speed... though automatics are illegal here too and I can't get one legally... but a one-hander just seems more natural to me.

That being said, if I'm out camping and such... it's a fixed blade for me. Oddly, my EDC is still on my belt as well... hehehe :D

Don't feel guilty about liking one handers. As much as I like traditional patterns. One handers are practical and quick and I carry one virtually everyday because of the ease of use. That said, traditionals are beautiful and quite practical also. For instance, if I could only carry one item, I would take a scout knife or SAK over a one hander simply because it is so much more versatile. In other words, I think all designs have their place.

I think you just have to get used to it. I love slipjoints and I like to carry them. I can't seeem to leave my Spyderco at home though. I want to carry the stockman only.....but I am afraid! Of what I am not sure. I just can't do it....(Even at home). I also had a hard time switching from a fixed to folder. Seemed such a pain to actually have to unlock and fold. I wish this did not concern me, I am sure there are more important things to stress about...although I can't imagine anything more important than knives. :D PS. I am so totally happy to se this new forum. I expect to be here vey often! :cool:

I think it was 1973, when I dropped a small Puma slipjoint on the rug. The main blade penetrated, and, when it made contact with the slab, it broke. It looked like a metal problem, so I took it back to the store. The store said they had a lot of problems with these for whatever reason, and offered me a refund, or exchange. I picked out a Buck model 501 Esquire. It was the first single blade lockback that I had owned. I have been carrying them ever since. I currently carry an Al Mar Falcon, which has been with me since 1979-80. Using two hands to open a knife never bothered me. If my other hand is occupied, well, thats what teeth are for.:D

I like traditional knives alot BUT I can't go back to carrying one for very long.
It's not really the one-hand aspect that I can't live without, it's the pocket-clip!

Traditional knives just feel to bulky and awkward in my pocket after carrying a pocketclip-knife.

What we need is more traditional patterns with pocketclips.

I've considered attaching a clip to my Aluminum Alox handle SAKs. Has anyone ever done this?

Allen.

Does a person have to give up one handed opening just because the knife has a "traditional" design? My brother-in-law has a Bradshaw/Whitewing warlock that has a small mushroom shaped thumb stud that looks and works great.

I have ordered a Bailey Bradshaw KR 3 1/4" folder. I have requested the thumb stud rather than a nail nick, as well as titanium bolsters/liners and stag scales and a CPM3V blade. I feel it will be a traditional knife with a modern edge.

Do you think that this is sacrilegious on a traditional style folder? I am very interested in the opinions of my fellow forumites regarding this subject.

Best regards,
Joe

I don't think that thumb studs are sacriligeous but they aren't quite traditional. Still I think that Bailey Bradshaw's knives are traditionally styled and I can't knock the convenience of one hand opening.

Joe, A thumb stud would be Ok except for on thing common
in most cases the stiff backspring makes one handing tough.
That ,I'd guess, is why traditional knives ues a nail nick.

Well, my feeling is that putting a pocket clip on my new Queen D2 trapper would be like putting a winch on the front end of a Ferrari. :)

Back