"One is none, etc."

Ahh, but, whether it was the TRP, the Loaded or your own Springfield Loaded, you got a feel for the location of the key elements and was able to use each in a proficient manner. All are 1911's and familiarity with the workings of a 1911 is what determined that your Springfield handled different than your fathers and your friends. I'd have no problem handing you a Springfield, Kimber or an Ed Brown as you obviously know your way around a 1911 model pistol.

All I was getting at is "Repetition becomes habit - habit become faith."

Know the tools at hand and you can depend on them. If a SAK fits the "mission critical" criteria then run with it. Providing you have faith in that Swiss jem. Faith in a tool only comes from time behind the wheel.

By the way, I wish I had two Howling Rats:p .

But then again I would have no problem transitioning from a Sig to a Glock to an S&W revolver. Caveat being no safety and I'll give you some lee way in that :D but my thought was geared more to the point that it's not always necessary to have the same design. Same manual of arms is great but not always necessary. Not to mention that the 1911, although the most accurate I've ever been with any firearm...even out to 75 yards;) , is still not what I would choose in a defensive shootout but that's a discussion for another forum and we could beat that horse to death two times.:D

Redundency of essential equipment is a very natural thing, hands, feet, eyes, ears, testicles, all redundant equipment and I aim to keep it that way.

Things that I carry in my pack and person that are redundant.

Water carriers and treatment methods. My main system is my canteen and chlorine tablets. I also carry a five liter waterbag, iodine and KMnO4.

Firemaking. Main method is a large Bic, but I also carry a mini bic, ferro rod, sparklite, a few matches and more than one form of tinder.

Cutting tools. I normally have a chopper and small fixed blade of some sort. I also carry a sheepsfoot folder in my Becker sheath pouch, and a SAK in my PSK.

Compass. I normally use a Recta DP-2, but I have a small medallion type compass in my PSK and a button compass on the sheath of my necker.

Shelter material. I normally use a bivy sack and poncho but I also carry a 2x3 meter lightweight plastic tarp and a space blanket still packaged in their original wrappers, very compact.

Flashlight My normal light is a mini-mag with the LED adaptor, but I also have two of the Inova LED lights as well.

Camera Batteries The last thing I ever want to see is that little red battery symbol flashing on the morning of day two. Dead camera batteries still work on the mini-mag.

Redundency is good but you can't carry 2x the load to do it. I try to pack a compact ,yet still useful version of the essentials and adapt to the conditions. I have had several times when the back-up was used, or loaned to someone else when their gear failed. If I carry a back-up of something it is because I have done without at some point and learned my lesson. Mac

Redundency of essential equipment is a very natural thing, hands, feet, eyes, ears, testicles, all redundant equipment and I aim to keep it that way.

Redundency is good but you can't carry 2x the load to do it. I try to pack a compact ,yet still useful version of the essentials and adapt to the conditions. I have had several times when the back-up was used, or loaned to someone else when their gear failed. If I carry a back-up of something it is because I have done without at some point and learned my lesson. Mac

Pict is right on...having redundancy is important for "critical" items, some we can all agree on, other items are important for a specific reason by the user. Iraq currently has some nice PX's on the FOB's...well, "nice" compared to nothing. If you have a mission critical, personal favorite or commonly used item, having a back up is more than just essential, it gives a little peace of mind. Applying redundancy is typically based off of personal experience or historical references. Think of most vehicles or large equipment spare equipment. In the Army we carry spare parts as reserve spare parts kit for on-hand emergencies. The redundant parts are based off of actual data showing that certain items are prone to failure, receive the most wear/tear or simply don't have a long life-expectancy. In terms relevant to this board, I wouldn't compare having a single match to having two or three for fire starting; but instead, as already mentioned having more than one method for a critical task or tool to getting a fire started is an equivalent to the redundant analogy you first mentioned. I don't always make it a “like item” for redundancy...such as a firearm, I would always choose rifle first, but it's nice having a pistol as a back up.

From my experience, in both military and civilian ventures, I like redundancy in a few areas which just came to mind:

Signal (Radio, strobe, signal mirror, etc.)
Knives
IFAK's
Weapons
Fire Starting methods
Navigation
Water purification
Lighting (flashlights)
Batteries
550 Cord
100 mph tape
Socks
Sunglasses/eye protection
Writing Implements
Watches (I always deploy with at least two)
Burts Bees Chapstick (mission essential for me:D )

Now, as someone already mentioned, so devices are dual purpose. I carry an emergency strobe on my rucksack, but I also have an LED light with a strobe option. Everything above is what I've found "mission essential" and critical enough to have extra, whether that be one, two or three extra methods or quantities.

Everybody's situation is different and all situations are unique to every individual. I use to be Infantry a few moons ago, but I've been working tactical communications for some time; I've subscribed to and use the term P.A.C.E. for planning communications redundancy...this applies sometimes for my personal needs/requirements. Let’s use water purification for example:

Primary – Water filter
Alternate – Polar Pure
Contingency – Boiling (but does require additional items)
Emergency – dozen Potable Aqua tablets in my PSK

Here’s one I use for fire making:

P – Large Ferro Rod (such as my Strike Force)
A – Cigarette lighter
C – Matches (REI storm-proof matches)
E – Mini Ferro Rod in my PSK

Your primary is the one you use the most. Alternate is in case the primary fails, is lost, not convenient or time is a critical factor, etc. Contingency is just that, another level of redundancy and can be as effective your Primary/Alternate such or in the case of my storm-proof matches, more effective. If you get caught in a severe storm, take a dunk in a freezing-cold river your motor skills will limit your ability to use your primary fire-starting method, and you need fire immediately, you fall back to your Alternate or Contingency. Lastly, your Emergency redundancy…just in case you’re woke up in the middle of the night by a raging, lunatic bear (or Rosie O’Donnell) and you only have your PSK (which should always be with you, right?) and your skivvies and are chased off without your pack and Primary, Alternate or Contingency devices/methods. It’s nice to have that Contingency or Emergency layer of redundancy for Mr. Murphy’s sake.

ROCK6

I'm getting into ultralight hiking, so I figure redundancy is a waste...I'm having one of each removed!

:D

Man, all these redundant talk makes me wanna clone myself just in case there are none of me left!!

The tecnique to achieve this is called sex. The result is children. The downside is it's a very expensive process, not to mention that they don't work too well until they are 25 years old. ;)

Did someone say 1911s? Now you've got my attention!
100_0190.jpg

I am starting to get in to this knife thing, but 1911s are where my heart has always been.
Back to the topic of this thread though.. I've had redundancy pounded into my head over and over throughout my technical dive training over the years, and on more than one occaision I can honestly say %100 without a doubt that it has saved my life.....So Yeah, I'm a believer!

cocked and ready to go.
Condition 1, the way John Moses Browning intended them to be carried, and the only way in my opinion that even makes sense to carry a 1911. But that's another discussion.:D

If one goes down you pick up the other. Or if you lose one. I carry two knives and a multi tool. Two pistols most of the time. We have two arms, two eyes, two ears. Redundancy is built in.

small Dual rig.JPG

If one goes down you pick up the other. Or if you lose one. I carry two knives and a multi tool. Two pistols most of the time. We have two arms, two eyes, two ears. Redundancy is built in.

View attachment 75833

Whatsamatter, Robert -- those neighbors of yours on McNeil Island make you nervous? :D heheh-- my whole weekend hiking kit is lighter than your EDC!

That actually belongs to a Chicago cop now. I also just made a similar one that holds a Glock and a .44 Mountain Gun, apparently for shooting through the vehicles of suspects using cars for cover.

The customer is always right! :D

This may be more your speed...

leg sheath w pack.JPG

You can wear it to the office, or just use it as a spare. Either way, it's always nice to have an extra fixed blade and a kit on you, just in case...

"I also just made a similar one that holds a Glock and a .44 Mountain Gun, apparently for shooting through the vehicles of suspects using cars for cover."

Right on, I have heard of that method. But a 2 man team.

Back on topic. I have 2 dozier kabar folding hunters- 4062. If one is dull, I use the other when I don't have time to sharpen. Its the same knife, so you are use to it.

Take care,
Scottman

Back