One knife a year

Shorttime

Gold Member
During my time on BF, I've started thinking about what I actually use my knives for. I don't go on adventures (nasty, cold, wet things that make you late for dinner), or participate in extrication situations, or any of the other activities that would justify carrying some 4" blade monster folder.

I've also become aware of what sort of tasks should realistically be left to fixed blades, and intend to start carrying one of those.

What this means is that, with a few more purchases, my knife "needs" will be satisfied, with one for EDC, one for work, one for polite use, and an overbuilt FB that travels concealed, just in case.

I see this as a beginning, not an end. It frees me up to collect the sort of high-end knives that I might carry once in a while, open an envelope with, then store, and maybe sell in a couple years, to finance the purchase of other expensive knives.

This brings me around to the title of this thread. By buying one a year, I can realistically purchase five hundred dollar knives.

I like the looks of what I've seen from the USN shows. My question (yes, there is a question) is, are there other shows that offer similar appeal for the "tactical knife" enthusiasts?

Well there is the Blade show. It is the biggest knife show in America.

I think there's a lot of wisdom to this line of thinking. There are a lot of higher end knives that I would love to have a chance to own, but I can never afford them. Instead, I constantly buy knives in the 100.00 and under range, only to sell them off for less than I paid for them, or trade them for another knife that I will eventually sell or trade. After all of this, I still end up carrying the same 2 or 3 knives. So, why not just stick with these 2 or 3 while I save for one of the knives that I've always wanted. The only problem is that this is much easier said than done.

Reasons I like this thread:

1) You opened with a Hobbit joke.

2) I can recommend a Becker BK-14 as a high quality, overbuilt, durable, concealable, tactical, EDC-able, and cost effective fixed blade knife.

3) I'm a big fan of getting just 2 or 3 high quality products that cover all the bases rather than a bunch of cheaper and inadequate indulgences.

Now to your point. I think the Shot Show is a big reveal for knives (and firearms). And like someone already said, Blade Show. Also, just keep an eye on local gun and knife shows.

I'm glad you liked the Hobbit joke.

Beckers, while nice, are too big for EDC, and rules at work say no fixed blades.

Blade show, Shot show. Any others?

Word up on this.
I think there's a lot of wisdom to this line of thinking. There are a lot of higher end knives that I would love to have a chance to own, but I can never afford them. Instead, I constantly buy knives in the 100.00 and under range, only to sell them off for less than I paid for them, or trade them for another knife that I will eventually sell or trade. After all of this, I still end up carrying the same 2 or 3 knives. So, why not just stick with these 2 or 3 while I save for one of the knives that I've always wanted. The only problem is that this is much easier said than done.

I'm glad you liked the Hobbit joke.

Beckers, while nice, are too big for EDC, and rules at work say no fixed blades.

Blade show, Shot show. Any others?

BK14 is only around 3.25" long, IIRC. If that's too big, there's always the BK13. That's tiny. Just so's you're aware.

There are a lot of knife shows out there. Not sure how many there are in Hades though, Sisyphus... Have you tried googling knife shows in your area? That's how I find most of mine. Some of the knife rags have show schedules too.

I can't go more than a week without getting a new knife, no way in hell I can go a year and only get one.

No matter how much it costs.

Whew, 1 knife a year, no way.

Moose

I can't go more than a week without getting a new knife, no way in hell I can go a year and only get one.

No matter how much it costs.

Whew, 1 knife a year, no way.

Moose

I can't do one a week, but even with my crappy, low-wage job there's no way I'd be doing one year.
Not even one $500 knife a year.
Life's too short to budget.:D

Somebody got the Sisyphus reference.

Crimsonfalcon, you just made my day.

Before this turns into a Beckerhead reunion, the FB I'm looking at is the TOPs Mini-Pry Knife.

Ritter Mini-Grip for EDC and work, and I have a few I rotate for polite use.

Polite knives might be one of the expensive collectible genres I explore.

The $500 dollar figure is based on the fact that there are other trivial things I need to pay for, like, food, clothing, gasoline, rent, and so on.

And there's this woman who insists, that just because I married her, she has some right to spend some of my money on useless things like the electric bill...

I'm done with building my folder collection for now. When my 2nd Contego gets here tomorrow, I'll be set.
I'm going to work on high end fixed blades next.

And another Fort Knox safe. :)

I always kicked this same idea around myself, for a long time. Just this past year I went to a local knife show and brought along a plastic handgun case with about 25 or so basic knives in it. Some older slipjoints, Buck's, Spyderco's, etc. Stuff I had for years and knew I wouldn't be carrying. Well I ended up trading 4 of those knives for a nice fixed blade custom by Meerdink. My first custom knife and a perfect EDC size.
Just an idea of what others might do. I bring that case to all the knife shows now.
-Paul

I've been doing this or kinda the same thing for a while now. This will be my third year. I Started with a large Sebenza, got the Umnumzaan last year and the Sebenza 25 will be this year.
I buy one high end knife a year. And if I feel the need to I'll pick up a few cheaper knives 100-200$ throughout the year.

I've found that my knife buying has become more and more selective over the years. Long gone are the days of endlessly searching the web for the latest and greatest model to come out. I'm done with trying to collect everything that appeals to me. Now maybe I'll pick up one or two of those and save the rest for my higher end purchase.

I've been to the Exchange forum, and if I follow through with this new practice, I will be lurking there for the next twenty-five years.

Especially since I want everything I see by Peter r....

Back