One-off Gary Crowder, very cool

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A few months ago I saw a picture of an old Puma folder that was a pretty unique design. I sent the picture (which was not very detailed), along with some rough sketches over to Gary Crowder and asked him if he could come up with something similar based on my specifications.

I wanted mine to be larger, with different blades.

Today I get an email that it's almost finished and will be sent to me today. The only thing left to be done that's not pictured are the pinched bolsters.

The knife will probably be here the end of this week but we'll be out of town until Monday night, should be a fun "gift" to open when I get back from our long weekend vacation.

The knife is a Swellback (for lack of a better term), split back whittler. Should come in a just under 4" closed, but I may have asked for 4.25" closed, I can't remember.

Red Micarta scales, exposed pivot pins, pinched bolsters, file worked spine.

Based on the pictures I think Gary outdid himself on this one. It has to be one of the more complicated slip-joint designs I've ever seen, but I knew he was up to the task.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 160

sgbeskin

Gold Member
I am waiting on knife from Gary. This post has got me fired up to get it!:D Should be ready in a week or so. That's a great looking knife, I know you're proud of it!

Cpirtle,
can you PM Gary's contact info to me?
I lost it after Blade.....

By the way, what is the blade steel of that wonderful whittler?

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Shaldag, Gary's info is as follows:

Phone: 918-775-5730
email: garysue@cwis.net

He gave me permission a long time ago to publish it publicly, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks for all of the compliments on the knife, I can't wait to see it in person!

I checked my notes again and it turns out I asked him to make it 4.5" closed, so this should be a nice big mutha.

I've had a few contacts from people asking about ordering one of these from Gary. He has asked me to make sure I like the knife before showing it off, which I had already done by the time he asked. (oops :foot: )

So if anyone is thinking of emailing him for more info on this model please hold off until I get mine and report back. I'm sure it will be awesome.

sgbeskin

Gold Member
I got home from work and low and behold there was the e-mail saying it was ready! I designed it and he made it just like I wanted.
Shanesknife.jpg

sgbeskin

Gold Member
Around 3 7/8 " long, linen micarta scales, nickel silver liners.......I got his contact info from Chad a while back, when I was inquiring about a Winchester, I am glad I skipped the Winchester and went for the Crowder! Thanks again Chad!
Shanesknife3.jpg

Remarkable "Crowder's" gentleman !!....Congratulations....I am certain it would be difficult to find anything better built !

-Regards

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
sgbeskin, that's a beauty! I'm glad to see that you went with Gary and that you're getting such an awesome knife. Love the coffin handle design :thumbup:

I have about 6 Crowder pieces now and he's hard to beat for the full knife buying experience. He follows requests to the letter, has great pricing, great turn around time and makes excellent knives. If you ever have a chance to meet him in person (for those who haven't) you'll find that he's a great person as well.