One Pocket Knife for 12 Months: Lionsteel BM13

Pilsner

Platinum Member
Having taken delivery of a two-bladed Lionsteel Bestman this week, I am so happy with it I’m inclined to do a 12 month experiment. It’s not original, I always enjoy reading the threads of the folks in whose footsteps I am treading.

oT49u2X.jpg

I started carrying it a few days ago, but we will start today: January 31st 2021. There will be eleven more updates in this thread, on the last day of each month.

I will use other knives, kitchen knives, fixed blade knives, but only this one will be in my pocket - all day, every day.

For those who want the stats, I’ll save it for February 28th - bet you can hardly wait ;) - but suffice it to say, for now, that the scales are ebony, the bolsters titanium, and the two blades made from Bohler M390, a steel of which I am peculiarly fond.

6FYqqd9.jpg

The factory edge was... acceptable to anyone outside these pages. I took it down slightly to 17° per side. Up to 1200 grit diamond, then ceramic and finally stropped with good old green compound. Nothing too fancy.

It cuts like a cold hearted woman with a keen wit. Nothing cuts better than that; just ask my wife. ;)

dbtteDm.jpg

We’ll see how it all pans out. It’s a gorgeous wee knife, and the only one that has ever really tempted me to do the 12 month test, let alone go through with it.

A slip joint? For twelve whole months? Ay caramba! :p

EDIT:
opening a box set, old school stylee...

uqnHRAF.jpg

Last edited:
I think that the only thing that you might miss in the long run is the lack of one hand opening and pocket clip (if you were used to them). Other than that, the availability of two blades, high end steel and nice construction should take care of your cutting needs.

The knife itself looks good, however it looks a bit to squarish for my taste (compared to a classic Buck 110 for instance). Considering that it does not have a pocket clip, it will end up at the bottom of my pocket and might dig on the leg when sitting down.

Let us know how it goes!

Lee D

Basic Member
I think that the only thing that you might miss in the long run is the lack of one hand opening and pocket clip (if you were used to them).

When I bought my Shuffler I carried it for roughly 6 months, and was surprised how quickly I got over both of those features.
Beautiful knife Pilsner Pilsner , I love it.

Pilsner

Platinum Member
Thanks fellas, I’m lovin’ it so far. I really like having the Wharncliffe in addition to the clip point. It is a bit squarish, but very comfortable in the hand. :)

Pilsner

Platinum Member
Over a week in and I'm really liking this knife. I do get a lot of use out of a pocket knife, as practically all of us know, who actually bother to carry that most useful of tools. This is just such a pleasure. Had a fun-time slip-joint moment yesterday, digging candle stumps out of the bases of a couple of candle sticks. Reminded me of the natural technique I learned as a child, when using the point of a slip-joint with downward pressure. Firstly - it's the grip. Get them fingers outta the way! (Just in case, like.) Secondly, it's a hair off perpendicular, to keep the blade biased toward the open position. Oooh, it took a bit of concentration, and that was rather nice. :)

Last edited:

on_the_edge

Gold Member
I don't think I could carry any single knife for a year no matter how good it is. I like variety. Somebody once said that variety is the spice of life. While I don't believe that in all of life's aspects, I certainly do in the knife world. Still, more power to you if you can pull it off.

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This will be an interesting thread to watch. :) I also like the additional wharncliffe blade. Have fun!

whp

A slip joint with two blades. Wow! Old timey. As a kid I did fine with that kind of knife. Later a boy scout knife. But now the convenience of one handed opening/closing and a pocket clip are almost essential for my edc/ work knife use. How can I carry a folder without a clip iwb?
Look forward to the monthly impressions.

Pilsner

Platinum Member
A slip joint with two blades. Wow! Old timey. As a kid I did fine with that kind of knife. Later a boy scout knife. But now the convenience of one handed opening/closing and a pocket clip are almost essential for my edc/ work knife use. How can I carry a folder without a clip iwb?
Look forward to the monthly impressions.

It’s a departure for me, that’s for sure! I’ll be honest, I do, of course, have numerous folders and fixed blade knives, axes, saws, multi-tools and so on. I can always grab one, or throw one in a bag, if necessary.

But for everyday pocket carry, first thing in the morning, this is what is going in. Yep, clips are great, but no dice with this style of pocket knife. So, I ordered a leather slip.

353 353 :thumbsup:

RjcjuuB.jpg

sodak

Gold Member
Thank you! I was wondering what a slip was. I tried google translate, but couldn't find an correct english -> american english option. You know, 2 countries separated by a common language, and all that... :D

cbach8tw

Gold Member
Thank you! I was wondering what a slip was. I tried google translate, but couldn't find an correct english -> american english option. You know, 2 countries separated by a common language, and all that... :D

I never understood why a flat is an apartment, etc...:D

Lee D

Basic Member
IMO the best thing about a slip is that they tend to keep a knife upright in your pocket. I CANNOT STAND a knife turning sideways in the bottom of my pocket.

I couldn't do this ! :) I got to be free to choose .

I do sometimes happen to carry the same knife (or several together ) for many years .

But , if a new one comes in and really grabs hold of me ...got to start carrying it .

Can also happen with a knife I've had for years , that will suddenly spark my interest . :cool:

Pilsner

Platinum Member
I couldn't do this ! :) I got to be free to choose .

I do sometimes happen to carry the same knife (or several together ) for many years .

But , if a new one comes in and really grabs hold of me ...got to start carrying it .

Can also happen with a knife I've had for years , that will suddenly spark my interest . :cool:
I can’t lie, Doc, it genuinely is a challenge! I’m a funny mixture of self-indulgence and self-denial. Drinking ambrosia in between wearing a hair-shirt - God knows what Freud might have made of it.

I find myself pining after a nice, OHO folder from my collection, but... it passes by mid-morning. ;) There is a satisfaction in making this two-bladed slippie do as much work as possible. I’d say that penetrating cuts require me to think, or feel, back to my childhood of using slippies. Mild challenges present themselves, it’s a good thing. :thumbsup:

I can’t lie, Doc, it genuinely is a challenge! I’m a funny mixture of self-indulgence and self-denial. Drinking ambrosia in between wearing a hair-shirt - God knows what Freud might have made of it.

I find myself pining after a nice, OHO folder from my collection, but... it passes by mid-morning. ;) There is a satisfaction in making this two-bladed slippie do as much work as possible. I’d say that penetrating cuts require me to think, or feel, back to my childhood of using slippies. Mild challenges present themselves, it’s a good thing. :thumbsup:
I've kept true to one women for over 50 years . :cool:

I can thus "cheat" on my knives , flashlights , etc ...all I want, and anytime ! :p

Just can't bend the budget too much . :(