Off Topic One Story Among Many That My Wife is Tired of Hearing

But us old codgers still have a need to tell them from time to time.

There I was, early spring of 1966, a brand new cadet in advanced Air Force ROTC at Auburn University on a much-needed AF scholarship. Tuition, $25 per quarter books allowance, and $50 per month was a big help to a country boy who had totally worked his way for the first two years of college. Not quite enough so I still commuted the 24 miles from home to campus to save money and worked on weekends.

Before heading home that Monday I went by Broun Hall to check on the uniform of the day for drill on Tuesday, which was to be posted on the detachment bulletin board by 2:00 pm per a standing order. The next day I came to campus in Dress Blues per the posting. All morning I saw other Air Force cadets on campus in khaki's. So off to drill I went, to try to keep as low a profile as possible. I realized quickly that for a 6'7" person in blue uniform in a sea of khaki's a low profile was not possible.

Sure enough, an officer came up to me and informed me that the detachment commander, who was an old full bird colonel, wanted me in his office immediately. I reported to him and was asked to explain myself. I told of the posting being Dress Blues when I checked it just before 2:00. He said yes, but the weather became so nice that the posting had been changed at about 3:30pm. "But sir, the standing order says" I reiterated it. He nodded but still didn't look too happy with me. So I said, "Sir, per the standing order, everyone on that drill field was in improper uniform but me." He looked at me for a couple of moments, laughed, and said, "get out of here." Which I promptly did.

She might be tired of hearing it. But it being my first time, and being quite acquainted with the military, and ROTC, and USAF, I quite enjoyed it.

Back