Ontario 22" Heavy Duty Machete

Hello I am a fisrt time poster. I have been reading from this site for a little while now and I like the discussions on this site. Very informative and helpful so I finally decided to join. My question is on the Ontario 22" Heavy Duty Machete. See I am a landscaper, and alot of the times I run into areas that need clearing, like for example I cleared a pond a month or so back, it was pretty drained out so we could walk about 10 feet or more into the back of the pond. What we where doing was clearing Fragmighty trees. From China, if you let them they will take over everything. Not to thick, but I was wondering would the said knife be useful for small limbs off smaller trees and larger debris? Is the blade to long for my work, is .125" thick a good thickness. Where is that on a ruler exaclty? Help would be much appreciated thank you.

I wouls that you might find the blade to long for what you are looking to do try a 18 inch or shorter at firt and see what you think of the size (I have the 22 and it was way too long and I`m a pretty big guy and it was just a little scary)and thats a fine thickness for a machete even a little thick by many peoples standards the thicker the blade the more drag while cutting a the more weight you have to swing.I hope I helped by the way I also have the cold steel kukri machete and love it (will need a good sharpening when you get them but also very cheap)

Thank you very much for your reply, you helped out alot, thank you again. Also what should I use to sharpen the machete, what is the best process?

A lot of people use a single cut file to sharpen their machete's. I find that leaves too coarse an edge for me, but maybe I just need a better file or technique. A belt sander will do a great job, as long as you're careful about not overheating the edge. A light touch will also prevent removing too much material.

I like to do it a little simpler: a piece of cardboard glued to a flat block and sandpaper over that. Clamp or hold the blade down flat and work perpendicular to the edge with light pressure. A taller block will keep your fingers safe.:) The cardboard has a little "give" to it that will generate a convex edge and by going to finer grit sizes you can really work down to a polished edge, depending on what you need and how much time you wish to spend. Leather instead of cardboard would probably be better, but I used what I had and either way it worked.

Oh, and welcome to BF :thumbup:

As mentioned above, too long of a blade would inhibit close quarters working.
I have the Ontario ON18 18" machete. Had it a little over a year now.
Used it maybe 5-6 times clearing brush out in the back. The first time
was for about 4 hrs of use.
I have only sharpened once using a coarse and medium stone by hand.
I wouldn't go for a razor edge when sharpening as it would
probably just roll over after a few swipes.

I like the cardboard/sandpaper idea that Blue Sky mentioned. I might try that next time.

Also, Ontario makes an economy version of their machetes, but I'm not sure
what that means. I don't know if it's cheaper steel, handle etc..

If you get a sheath for it, make sure it is a rigid/solid sheath.
The nylon sheath I had for mine was too flimsy and hard to utilize with one hand.
The heavy plastic sheath has worked well and has a military style mount system that is easy to use.

mike

Also, Ontario makes an economy version of their machetes, but I'm not sure
what that means. I don't know if it's cheaper steel, handle etc..

This question came up recently. I have one of each and I think the only difference is the blade thickness.

Pic of both

Thank you guys for your replies, very helpful. So an 18" definitly over a 22"? I was looking at the 22" of course just the size is freaking awesome, but I am using it for land clearing if an 18" is better because of weight and for close quarters I will go for that.

Start with an 18 and move up in size once you get used to it. The 22 inch is basically a sword and has a good deal more momentum than an 18, loss of control can lead to bad things :)

Back