Ontario knives RBS7

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a large fixed blade for use while working up at my family property in the sticks of Northern California. I'm kind of looking for a "one-knife solution". Would be used for everything from hacking tree limbs to opening packages. I have smaller/lighter fixed blades that don't do well hacking small limbs and larger kukri style machetes that are harder to carry and don't do great with the "smaller" tasks.

Knife would also see use on camping trips, doing typical camp tasks. I probably do about 70% car-camping 30% hiking in.

My questions are:

Is there any reason I should look at the rat 7, given I like the clip point of the rbs 7 and it is $20 less?
I have small/medium sized hands. Anyone with smallish hands have experience holding either the rat or rbs7? It looks like I could sand the handles down some around the edges if they feel too big in hand.

I've also looked at the rd 7 and I think the blade is too thick and heavy for my preferences.

I'm probably going to push the button tomorrow morning so all input is appreciated.

The RAT 7 has better handle ergonomics out of the box for sure. THE RBS 7 is a good knife if you like to do your own customizing. I have large hands and the RBS is perfect for me after some handle reshaping. I don't think just sanding the micarta will do you any good though. It took some serious grinding to reduce them to an acceptable grip. Here is a reduction comparison I did a while back:

DSC01205.jpg

Thanks for the pic, it definitely helps give me an idea of the grip size. Decisions, decisions...

Are the BK-7's with micarta grips better for smaller hands than a RAT 7 or RBS 7?

I'm somewhat inclined to go with the RBS7 and re-shape the handle and make my first ever kydex sheath for it. It would be a project knife.

Back