Ontario Kukri - uneven blade grind (not edge)

Soooooooo........I got the replacement from Ontario. I was excited when I opened the box - the sheath is a new style and is infinitely better than the original. That's where the excitement stopped however, as the blade geometry is actually worse than the original two knives I returned. The edge wanders and twists, which I'm sure has a functional impact in addition to making it nearly impossible to sharpen. Extremely disappointing considering I was under the impression that this blade would be carefully QC'd before going out to me since it was my third try at a knife free of glaring defects. I have emailed customer service to inform them and will post back here when I hear back. I really hope there is a happy ending to this saga.
DSC02102-2.jpg

For the longest of time okc knives were hardly known for its fit and finish but rather as true american products filled with robustness and functionality.
I hope this internal renewal with higher qc will see greater respect and growth for the okc as a whole.

Soooooooo........I got the replacement from Ontario. I was excited when I opened the box - the sheath is a new style and is infinitely better than the original. That's where the excitement stopped however, as the blade geometry is actually worse than the original two knives I returned. The edge wanders and twists, which I'm sure has a functional impact in addition to making it nearly impossible to sharpen. Extremely disappointing considering I was under the impression that this blade would be carefully QC'd before going out to me since it was my third try at a knife free of glaring defects. I have emailed customer service to inform them and will post back here when I hear back. I really hope there is a happy ending to this saga.

I've been on the road for about a week, so I apologize that I haven't seen this sooner. Any update from our customer service people? I'll ask around the plant as well. This is obviously not what I expected to hear. I'm sorry that this has been so difficult. Our kukri is one of my personal favorites, and I wish you had gotten a good demonstration of why that's the case.

They sent me another return label. I didn't get a chance to drop it off at FedEx until today, so I imagine it will be back to you on Monday or Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to getting a good example of the blade so it can be one of my favorites too, lol.

I have the same thing. I think it is to thin the edge just slightly or change the geometry. just stripped mine and gosh she's Purdy. (rusts is you sneeze in the same room with it though)

Stripping coating can be done easily or hard. The hard way is to use a wire wheel on a grinder. If you want to go even harder, use sandpaper and elbow grease. The hardest way is to chop with it until the finish is worn off.
The easy way is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a can of paint stripper or CitraStrip. Put it on the blade, wait a few hours, come back and the coating should come right off with a very minimum of scraping with a piece of cardboard or plastic scraper.

I just use the 15 minute stripper from lows. I think it's called jasco. Very easy.

If you don't want it to rust so easily, give it a nice patina and some oil.

Back