Ontario Rat 1 Replacement Handle Scales (actual product?)

Wadup guys? New to the forum. I just got a rat 1 and arnt happy with the grips. Ive been searching youtube, google, and such for OEM colored g10 replacement scales, but ones mass produced and sold by a company not by some kid with a dremel in his dads garage, I can order g10 slabs and shape it with my dremel myself if I wanted half grounded uneven scales, but I want some OEM looking, OEM fitting, replacement colored g10 scales. Probably venom green. Does anyone make such a thing? Did some searching on here all I found was from time to time someone custom making them and selling them so if its been covered I apologize but I couldn't find it. Please let me kno guys!

Not that i've found, but esee just released their avispa which is a g10 framelock with the exact same front handle and a stonewashed aus8 blade.

The difficulty you are having is that the Rat 1 is such an economically priced knife... there is virtually no profit to be made with the aftermarket development and manufacture of replacement scales. I fall into your 'kid with a dremel in his dads garage' catagory and used the economy of the Rat 1 to develop my skills to produce custom scales. It was a perfect platform for that... BUT the economy also works against it... as very few individuals would wish to pay two or three times the cost of the knife for the CUSTOM alternatives.
APrJHCa.jpg

MTCSR19.jpg

HsnwnxZ.jpg

AZVXsdH.jpg

The difficulty you are having is that the Rat 1 is such an economically priced knife... there is virtually no profit to be made with the aftermarket development and manufacture of replacement scales. I fall into your 'kid with a dremel in his dads garage' catagory and used the economy of the Rat 1 to develop my skills to produce custom scales. It was a perfect platform for that... BUT the economy also works against it... as very few individuals would wish to pay two or three times the cost of the knife for the CUSTOM alternatives.

Excellent points, Boomer.

Kind of like putting $15,000 worth of body work onto an $8,000 Honda Civic... It doesn't make sense but some people can't resist.
If you're willing and able to do the work yourself, why not? It's your time and money so make the best of it.

I have a cheap Boker Magnum I got on a whim that I'm starting to get the itch to try to make my own scales for it. It would be a fun project for sure.

Boomer, your scales on those Rat 1s are gorgeous! I'm super jealous as now I look at my Rat 1 with factory scales... Amazing work.

APrJHCa.jpg

MTCSR19.jpg

HsnwnxZ.jpg

AZVXsdH.jpg
Hi, im a brand new member to this forum. I came across this older post doing a web search. Would you happen to have any scales for a Rat 1? Thanks.
Pete

Hello Pete...

I no longer machine scales for the Rat 1. It was an inexpensive entry level knife I could afford to learn the process of design and machining... but there isn't a sufficient market base to sustain sales.

Steve

Back