Ontario SP-18 Frontiersman...is this a generic version of Bagwell's Hell's Belle?

The blades look almost identical. I'd like to own a Bagwell Hell's Belle, but for about $40, the Frontiersman appears to be the same thing.
Anybody have one of these and can report on it? Is it balanced well and light/quick to move?
Better yet does anybody have bothe the Frontiersman and Bagwell Hell's Belle for a comparison?

Yep,I have a brand new one and I have to say it is one of the wickedest blades I have ever held.Very light and quick in the hand with a deadly point on it.If you want to train with the blade or use it the sp18 is the one to go with,if your into looks then the Bagwells are what you want.

I have never handled an Ontario Knives Frontiersman; it looks like it is probably a good knife for $35 to $40, but it sure isn't a Bill Bagwell Hell's Belle. I would also be willing to wager that the Ontario Knives Bill Bagwell Hell's Belle is a lot better knife as well. That one I have had the opportunity to handle and I like it very much.

The Ontario Frontiersman can be called "a Bagwell on a budget". The blade shape is pure Bagwell, has a sharpened false edge, and it is light and lively. The main difference is in the blade steel and the handle shape. The Ontario Bagwells are stainless with a coffin handle, and the Frontiersman is 1095 with a kraton "bird' head" shape. Makes a great trainer for cutting drills, or a cheap date if you want to take her out. Good for times and places you wouldn't want to take the more expensive model.

Back