Ontario sp53 vs Kabar Cutlass

deltablade

Gold Member
Which one of these would you pick for a southern woods camp and chopper, and why ? It seems to me that the straighter edge on the SP 53 might be easier to sharpen. Steel in either seems suitable. The drop point on the Kabar suits me, tho I could regrind the Ontario's tip. The saber grind on the Ontario is a little higher than the Kabar, which might make for a better choppier. I know the answer will probably be get both, use them, then decide, Sure need some knife guys opinions.
Thanks

Ontario

1621001484824.png

Kabar
1621001449830.png

Which one of these would you pick for a southern woods camp and chopper, and why ? It seems to me that the straighter edge on the SP 53 might be easier to sharpen. Steel in either seems suitable. The drop point on the Kabar suits me, tho I could regrind the Ontario's tip. The saber grind on the Ontario is a little higher than the Kabar, which might make for a better choppier. I know the answer will probably be get both, use them, then decide, Sure need some knife guys opinions.
Thanks

Ontario

View attachment 1563816

Kabar
View attachment 1563815

To me a key difference is blade thickness. The SP53 is 0.26 inches at the spine, whereas the Ka-Bar is 0.17 inches.

I would go for the thicker blade to I like the sp 10 that's a good chopper and my main chopper in the woods

I have heard that some new sp53s have handles that work loose. Has anyone rehandled a sp53?

The Kabar handle is a lot more comfortable, and the sheath is nicer. The Kabar blade is much thinner, and will slice through stuff easier. Made in Taiwan.

The Ontario is a thick slab of steel, with a relatively obtuse edge angle. It’s a basher and great for batoning through wood rounds. The sheath is basic but works fine. Made in USA.

And just to stir the pot a bit, the Kershaw Camp 10 is an underrated knife. The sheath is better than both the Kabar and Ontario, and the edge grind is high enough to make it a decent cutting tool.

It is less expensive than both as well.

Skrama
Mini Duku Parang
Becker BK 9

Choppers with 9-10” blades, in about the same price range. (You might have to wait for a sale to get the Becker at $70, but it happens). Limited to just one, I’d take the Skrama over anything in the class.

Last edited:
I detest recurves. You can have lots of belly and go straight to the ricasso. So the knives above are a hard pass for me.

If I were inclined to buy a large knife with a recurve I’d go all in and look at KuKris

And just to stir the pot a bit, the Kershaw Camp 10 is an underrated knife. The sheath is better than both the Kabar and Ontario, and the edge grind is high enough to make it a decent cutting tool.

It is less expensive than both as well.

.... Not to mention the handle is really comfortable to use for an extended hacking, and the knife has a great warranty as well.

Skrama
Mini Duku Parang
Becker BK 9

Choppers with 9-10” blades, in about the same price range. (You might have to wait for a sale to get the Becker at $70, but it happens). Limited to just one, I’d take the Skrama over anything in the class.
I have one of each. All great. Oe of these days I am gonna hafta deal w my knife obsession

I detest recurves. You can have lots of belly and go straight to the ricasso. So the knives above are a hard pass for me.

If I were inclined to buy a large knife with a recurve I’d go all in and look at KuKris
what do you mean "lots of bellyhand go straight to the ricasso? are Kukris hard to sharpen?

The blades above have lots of belly which can be desirable. Between the apex of the belly, and the ricasso is a recurve that doesn’t need to be there. All recurves are harder to sharpen than a straight edge, so I’m saying if you have to deal with a recurve it might as well be a Kukri.

Another vote for the Kershaw, but of the two mentioned I would go with the Ontario Knife Works. Thicker blade for chopping and all the ones I have owned in the past have been solid performers.

The blades above have lots of belly which can be desirable. Between the apex of the belly, and the ricasso is a recurve that doesn’t need to be there. All recurves are harder to sharpen than a straight edge, so I’m saying if you have to deal with a recurve it might as well be a Kukri.
thanks

Back