Ontario True edge Chef knife but not an Old Hickory. Anyone familiar with this one?

IMG-4734.jpg
IMG-4727.jpg
IMG-4733.jpg
IMG-4763.jpg
IMG-4769.jpg

Based on the style , size, blade thickness, and the somewhat rough F&F my guess would be that it's a USGI Cooks knife.

As I understand they were kind of a general purpose do all kitchen knife used for just about everything except pairing, so they were thicker and more robust than a typical large chef's knife.
They were made by many manufacturers and the Gov't wasn't paying a premium for these things, so Fit & Finish wasn't a huge priority .

The unidentified GI cooks knife my dad gave me was very similar to this, but most were of this general pattern.
15" oal, carbon steel, forged bolster, basic wooden scales, and the only markings would be etched on the blade ( some companies didn't leave off the handle stamps )

Last edited:
It’s definitely a robust knife, I haven’t seen another Ontario like it. I have another Ontario that’s a 12” Old Hickory chef’s knife that I haven’t seen another like it either.

Ontario made a ton of "food service' blades over the years. Old Hickory was for the non-professional home consumer.

It’s just odd we don’t see more of them for sale online or any additional information on the Ontario chef knives besides the old hickory line.

It’s definitely a robust knife, I haven’t seen another Ontario like it. I have another Ontario that’s a 12” Old Hickory chef’s knife that I haven’t seen another like it either.
I realize they were thicker and more durable than a standard large chef's knife because they were sort of an all-purpose kitchen knife used for everything save paring. Through the years, Ontario produced a great deal of "food service" blades.

Back