Open COntainer laws

Ok everybody...I'm wondering what states don't have an open container law.
I know drunk driving in all states is illegal, but what states don't have the open container law?

The only ones I can think possibly don't are Louisiana and Texas.

Thanks.

IIRC, parts of Texas don't, at least for beer. I don't know about the whole state, or hard liquor.

That was years ago, by the way. So you'd better not depend on this for safe drinking on your vacation road trip. ;) :D

Good luck finding one. In 1999 the feds tied highway funds to drunk driving enforcement and open container laws. Any state that did not have a open container law in effect by 2001 would have 3% of their federal highway money redirected to DUI education. I don't know if any state bucked this, I know NC caved. Prior to 2000 in NC you could have 1 less open container than people in the car ie. 4 people= 3 open beers. 1 person= 0 open beers. In other words the driver wasn't supposed to be drinking. In practice it ment you handed your beer to a passenger.

Patrick

Interesting...
I'm not 21 but I was just wondering. I heard some buddies talking about it and I was trying to verify it.

I lived in louisiana for about 8 years, and this should clear this up:
it is legal in New orleans, and many other cities to walk around with alcohol in a plastic cup (no glass) anytime.

It USED to be legal to have an open container in your car, but IT IS NOT ANYMORE. I used to see tourists try to do all kinds of illegal things, esp. during Mardi Gras/carnival season, and the NOPD will come down on you hard. also know that if you're arrested during the week preceding Mardi Gras (actually tuesday), they will not start processing you until ash wednesday at the earliest. OPP (orleans parish prison) is not someplace you ever want to be, ever. Let alone for a week.

-my knowlegeable 2 picayunes.

In 1999 the feds tied highway funds to drunk driving enforcement and open container laws. Any state that did not have a open container law in effect by 2001 would have 3% of their federal highway money redirected to DUI education. I don't know if any state bucked this, I know NC caved.

Maybe with the redirected to DUI education thing.

In the early 90's the feds tried to force states to adopt helmet laws for motorcycles by threatening to cut highway funds. The Iowa legislators dutifully passed the required bill and then Gov. Terry Brandstead vetoed it and sued the feds for trying to blackmail him. He won the suite. That provison of the highway funding law was thrown out by the court. The next day, Gov. Brandstead asked the state law makers to send him the bill again which they promptly did and he signed it into law that very day but this time of his own free will and not because of federal blackmail.

Back