Open frame lock design questions…

Hey, I’m a mechanical engineering student and I LOVE making stuff.

I’d like to laser cut or water jet my own large (4” blade) open frame lock knife design.

Has anybody here done this before?

I’d love to learn from what others have done before me. Any help greatly appreciated!!!

So far I’ve been analyzing existing designs.

Some questions are:

How do the bent frames get made?

What’s the strongest and most secure design for the locking mechanism. What’s the strongest and most secure pivot option?

What else should I know?

Thanks!

IIRC, there is a YouTube series called Making a Frame Lock Folding Knife.
There are also many good books on the subject.

Hey, I’m a mechanical engineering student and I LOVE making stuff.

I’d like to laser cut or water jet my own large (4” blade) open frame lock knife design.

Has anybody here done this before?

I’d love to learn from what others have done before me. Any help greatly appreciated!!!

So far I’ve been analyzing existing designs.

Some questions are:

How do the bent frames get made?

What’s the strongest and most secure design for the locking mechanism. What’s the strongest and most secure pivot option?

What else should I know?

Thanks!
I can't give any personal experience on this, but there are some john grimso videos on youtube that can give some good information for making a frame lock, mostly details that go into design.

Theres another one that was recommended to me a while back, and I cant remember the name. The guy makes a blade out of g10, with a steel insert, and I could have sworn, he had videos talking about making frame locks. I can't remember it, and its driving me crazy

Back