Open Invite: Winter Camping With The WLC

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by k_estela, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Shoki

Shoki

Apr 10, 2007
    If it weren't seven hours away...
    :(

2. lungcutter

lungcutter

Feb 28, 2008
    Blais, Don't let that stop you, I travel 10 1/2 hrs. to get there. It is well worth the time.

3. Joezilla

Joezilla Moderator Moderator

Jul 22, 2005
    edit: just kidding, getting this confused with other dates

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. panzer075

panzer075

Jul 4, 2000
    hey Kev,

add 2 more to the list...my brother and i will be there...looking forward to seeing all you guys again.

Chris

5. Shoki

Shoki

Apr 10, 2007
    Believe me, under normal circumstances, I'd be all for it. It's just that I'll have an infant son to take care of come January so I wouldn't want to be that far away. Maybe next time.
    ;)

6. Quirt

Quirt

Oct 10, 2005
    Kevin, tell us more about the target shooting portion...supervised or unsupervised shooting - it is organized or unorganized - meaning just everyone doing there own thing as a free for all or is this an organized "training" related activity?

7. k_estela

k_estela Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum Moderator

Feb 23, 2001
    Quirt,
    Did I say we were training with firearms? We usually reserve shooting for our week-long courses and it is always strictly supervised and even-tempered discipline is maintained by all.

As for training, you will learn a lot by doing and more by being around the instructors and alumni. We have informal lessons all weekend long and questions are encouraged. Ask anyone who is going again why and that will tell you about the experience.
    Finally, how many schools like ours have free training experiences like this? You'll get your $0 worth.

8. Quirt

Quirt

Oct 10, 2005
    Thanks! I couldha swore I saw "Target Shooting" listed as one of the topics in the OP. I don't see it now. I must be sniff'n too much fatwood lately. Thanks. I'm check'n my calendar now to see if I'm available. I apprecate what you're offering.

9. SouthernCross

SouthernCross

Jun 25, 2008
    G'day Kev

January is summer time over here.

I already have 2 weeks holidays on the coast organised with my family for this period :D

Whilst you guys are working in the snow, I'll be working on my body surfing techniques, showing the kids about rips at the beach, eating freshly caught fish & continuing to teach my kids about life outdoors in a coastal environment :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to the pics from your trip :thumbup:

Kind regards
    Mick

10. crbauhs

crbauhs Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Man you guys, come down south a bit lol Get one near upper Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee area and I'll come!

11. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    And I will be looking forward to your pics. Mainly the fishing ones, but feel free to post a few of some attractive Shielas in their bikinis:thumbup::D

12. k_estela

Feb 23, 2001
    Just a heads up, we've already confirmed some serious woodsmen on this trip. If you're a novice, there are plenty willing to show you the ropes.
    I will have some interesting skills challenges ready for that trip and some you've never seen before. Do you want to be part of it or just read about it? Don't think we've run out of room. You can still come.

13. EmsRescueGuy

EmsRescueGuy

Oct 21, 2006
    Just double Checked And I am 95% sure I am good for that weekend. Great chance to try out the LL bean wool thermals Santa is bringing. Plus I can try out the Baldric I picked up at Finger lakes and some other odds and ends Ive been meaning to use.

I will be looking into snow shoe Rentals I doubt people have spares for my Size/weight.

I would like some clerification on sleeping/ shelter etc. are we building group shelters, bringing tents or whatever. I may be able to borrow a canvas A-frame with a stove vent but I dont have a stove.

14. Anrkst6973

Anrkst6973

May 15, 2008
    Man I'd whack Rick M to be there( He'd chase me out of Canada with a stick too I'd bet!:D) Yall snowbunnys want to come down south and play with moccasins in the swamp sometimes? What the chance of a summer gig in our part of the world?

15. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006
    We usually have individual set ups with one huge ass fire. A couple of guys have heated tents but most of us don't. If you have a decent bag rated for -20 you shouldn't have a problem. This year will be the biggest yet with over 24 confirmed coming. Mostly guys with 5 younguns and one woman(my wife).
    Dan, if you have a problem getting snowshoes let me know. I have an extra pair and it should fit your size. Looking forward to seeing all.
    We still don't have much snow (about 6") but that should change by January.
    Oldman/Marty

16. oldman/Marty

oldman/Marty

Apr 23, 2006
    For you guys down South, we are at PWYP every year. This year from 5-11Apr, 2010. We have a great time with about 70 folks showing up from all over.
    Oldman/Marty

17. k_estela

Feb 23, 2001
    If you need a reference, the trip will be about an hour from Plattsburgh and Montreal. If you're looking for a ride (train or bus terminal) maybe we can arrange it. We'll leave for the woods early Sat.morning and come out on Monday.

Any other brave souls?

18. k_estela

Feb 23, 2001
    BTTT

Alright, January is here and this winter trip is only a couple weeks away. Who will put up? Who will shut up? What do you want to see us prove or disprove in the wilderness on this trip?

Ask and you shall receive!

19. hayseedw45

hayseedw45

Feb 13, 2008
    Without a doubt, I'm in!