Open knife carry in MI question

I've been researching the Michigan knife laws and the information is so bland and I can barely understand what's what. I currently reside in Detroit, Michigan and am a working man that sometimes ride the bus when my gf uses our car for work (W\we work different shifts). When I decide to ride the bus, I always encounter trouble and one time I was confronted at gun point while waiting for bus so I decided I needed to get a little protection. I recently bought this item and a couple others. I was wondering if I was allowed to open carry the knives which will be strapped to my left leg. It'll be very helpful if someone can help me understand the law since I know you cannot carry anything with intent to harm which sometimes confuses me as well. Thank you.

First let me say hello to a fellow knife guy from Michigan! I live in Lansing here we have a local (meaning city only) ordinance stating 3 inches of blade length is the limit. The next town to the east has a no fixed blades ordinance (no matter the length or carry style) so I would dare say you cannot legally carry the item in the link and possibly not even a decent folder. However in my many visits to Detroit I have always carried a decent size folder just as I always do. I know the wording in the state laws make anything carried for self defense illegal by definition but work tools or other useful items used in an emergency as a self defense item are often deemed ok by prosecutors . Sorry for the bleak outlook ,however Michigan has open carry for firearms but alas public transportation doesn't allow it so again at square one.

Do yourself a favor, get yourself a pistol and a CPL. NEVER take a knife to a gun fight. Personally, I will never set foot in Detroit unarmed.
But, I always have a knife on my person....whether it be a Kershaw Leek, or my Benchmade 300 Ball Axis flipper.

Thank you all for the answers and I have considered getting a pistol, just need to get a permit for conceal carry :p. Thanks to the comments, I have a better understanding.

Getting a CPL in Michigan is fairy simple now. It only took 3 weeks from the time I turned it in to having it in my possession.

Knife laws are fairly clear in Michigan.

Folders- restricted knife types are clearly listed and for blade length, keep it under 3in if you plan on using it for self defense. If you just want a utility knife you could carry a Cold Steel XL folder if you wanted. There is technically No restriction on blade length in MI until it is used in an unlawful manor.

Fixed blades- Open carry only and you better be in the woods hunting otherwise you will probably go to jail. Just to make that clear, You CANNOT carry a fixed blade in Michigan unless you are hunting.

Knife laws are fairly clear in Michigan.

Folders- restricted knife types are clearly listed and for blade length, keep it under 3in if you plan on using it for self defense. If you just want a utility knife you could carry a Cold Steel XL folder if you wanted. There is technically No restriction on blade length in MI until it is used in an unlawful manor.

Fixed blades- Open carry only and you better be in the woods hunting otherwise you will probably go to jail. Just to make that clear, You CANNOT carry a fixed blade in Michigan unless you are hunting.

One of the gray areas.....you have the burden of proof that you are carrying it for self defense and not to commit a crime.

"Michigan -750.226... Carrying with unlawful intent
Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully
against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol
or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or
knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any
other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall
be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in
the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine
of not more than 2,500 dollars.

- 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...
Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or
any person who shall have in his possession any knife
having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may
be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of
this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed
person carrying a knife on his person in connection with
his living requirements.

- 750.227. (1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk,
stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of
any length, or any dangerous weapon, except a hunting
knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about
his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in
any vehicle... except in his or her dwelling house [or]
place of business... (3) A person who violates this
section is guilty of a felony...

- 750.222a Double-edged, nonfolding stabbing instrument defined.
(1) As used in this chapter, 'doubled-edged, nonfolding
stabbing instrument' does not include a knife, tool,
implement, arrowhead, or artifact manufactured from stone by
means of conchoidal fracturing.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an item being transported
in a vehicle, unless the item is in a container and inaccessible
to the driver.
History: Add. 2000, Act 343, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 2000 .

- 259.80f Possessing... certain items in sterile area of airport;
(1) An individual shall not possess, carry, or attempt to possess
or carry any of the following in a sterile area of a commercial airport:
(a) Firearm.
(b) Explosive.
(c) Knife with a blade of any length.
(d) Razor, box cutter, or item with a similar blade.
(e) Dangerous weapon.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), an individual who
violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable
by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more
than $1,000.00, or both.
(3) An individual who violates subsection (1) while doing any of
the following is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for
not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both:
(a) Getting on or attempting to get on an aircraft.
(b) Placing, attempting to place, or attempting to have placed on an
aircraft an item listed in subsection (1).
(c) Committing or attempting to commit a felony.
(4) [Exempts most officials]...
(7) As used in this section:
(a) 'Commercial airport' means an airport that has regularly
scheduled commercial flights to and from other destinations.
(c) 'Sterile area' means that term as defined in 14 C.F.R. 107.1.
History: Add. 2001, Act 225, Eff. Apr. 1, 2002 .

- 380.1313 Dangerous weapon found in possession of pupil...
(1) If a dangerous weapon is found in the possession of a pupil
while the pupil is in attendance at school or a school activity
or while the pupil is enroute to or from school on a school bus,
the superintendent of the school district or intermediate school
district, or his or her designee, immediately shall report that
finding to the pupil's parent or legal guardian and the local
law enforcement agency.
(2) If a school official finds that a dangerous weapon is in the
possession of a pupil as described in subsection (1), the school
official may confiscate the dangerous weapon or shall request a
law enforcement agency to respond as soon as possible and to
confiscate the dangerous weapon. If a school official confiscates
a dangerous weapon under this subsection, the school official
shall give the dangerous weapon to a law enforcement agency and
shall not release the dangerous weapon to any other person,
including the legal owner of the dangerous weapon. A school
official who complies in good faith with this section is not
civilly or criminally liable for that compliance...
(4) As used in this section, 'dangerous weapon' means a firearm,
dagger, dirk, stiletto, knife with a blade over 3 inches in length,
pocket knife opened by a mechanical device, iron bar, or brass knuckles.
History: Add. 1987, Act 211, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1987 ;--Am. 1995,
Act 76, Eff. Aug. 1, 1995 .
Popular Name: Act 451"

One of the gray areas.....you have the burden of proof that you are carrying it for self defense and not to commit a crime.

The sticky part of carrying for "self-defense" is that without specific statutory language being present, all use of a knife as a weapon is "unlawful" until proven otherwise in a court of law. Remember, self-defense is the reason you tell the judge you are not guilty of assault or murder (affirmative defense, i.e. "Yes I did it, but I had a legal reason"). Because the common law system doesn't recognize "self-defense" as an affirmative defense for carry/possession, it makes the court battle messy. This doesn't even begin to cover how cops view anyone who says they carry a knife for self-defense (which is often unreasonable, but try telling the man with the badge and gun that!).

Besides the law, there's some practical matters about carrying a knife for self-defense. It has a lot of limitations and is only effective and legally justifiable force in very narrow circumstances. If your attacker has a gun, you die. If you both have knives, you both die. If your attacker is unarmed, he dies and you go to jail. Justifiable knife use in self-defense does happen, I have seen it and read several cases, but they are exceedingly rare. Besides a CHP (which is a fine idea), pepper spray should always be in the toolbox, especially a very good brand like UDAP.

So, how is a bladesmith/knifemaker LEGALLY to transport fixed blades to gun and knife shows, affiliate vendors, sales deliveries, demos, or anything? Aren't fixed blades anywhere in vehicles considered concealed? Yet there's gun and knife shows where plenty of questionable legality knife "businesses" sell fixed blade knives, and cops often attend and purchase from (and drive home with) them? How do you take it home? I read that they're not allowed in vehicles... did I comprehend that correctly?

Edit: I apologize, I will check dates in the future.

Back