Open Spine Nuclear Meltdown Fusion Steel Heart Sheath.

Hi Dwayne. I finally got my nmfsh this week. What color will go best with red/black g10? Are both snaps necessary? I think I saw one of your sheaths for a fbm dangler in another thread and it looks redish brown with a single snap but a wider angled strap.
Sounds like your looking for a more traditional type sheath, I just finished one in black and got it sent off without getting a picture. :eek: But yes! No worries on the style you want. Red/black G10 is so nice in that reddish brown color, its our Dark Brown standard if I am correct. I'll see if I can find a pic for you.
Got mine a little while ago and she has been asking for some pants, what is the wait time on them? (prefer Black)

thanks,
C
Let me see where I am on the current run of open spine sheaths, if I can get one more cut in this run I'll get it in. It really doesn't take much to put one more in the stack. :)

Thanks Dwayne,
Here's the link- it's your post #11
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/822862-Best-sheath-option-for-me

I'm just wondering what retention is like on an open spine sheath since I've never played with one before. I was thinking that a single snap would be faster to get the blade into play, but if the retention is around the talon hole than I could draw it out without undoing them. Is that correct?
If we are talking about the same Dark Brown then it would be great!
It also looks a bit different since this old pic is a dangler, vs the new style is a drop? I hope I'm using the correct terms here.
What is the difference in how the knife behaves in the sheath in the different styles when out tromping through the woods?
Would the kydex fusion option work for retention instead? Maybe add a standard snap loop around the handle?
Lastly, is there a good way to attach this style to a pack, or should I be considering a standard style sheath for that use?
Thanks!

Last edited:
What benefit is there to having kydex in the sheath?
is it for stiffness or retention?

Thanks Dwayne,
Here's the link- it's your post #11
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/822862-Best-sheath-option-for-me

I'm just wondering what retention is like on an open spine sheath since I've never played with one before. I was thinking that a single snap would be faster to get the blade into play, but if the retention is around the talon hole than I could draw it out without undoing them. Is that correct?
If we are talking about the same Dark Brown then it would be great!
It also looks a bit different since this old pic is a dangler, vs the new style is a drop? I hope I'm using the correct terms here.
What is the difference in how the knife behaves in the sheath in the different styles when out tromping through the woods?
Would the kydex fusion option work for retention instead? Maybe add a standard snap loop around the handle?
Lastly, is there a good way to attach this style to a pack, or should I be considering a standard style sheath for that use?
Thanks!
I've got a couple of open spine sheaths going together now, I'll try to take a pic of the sheath without the face to you can see how the knife is held in to the sheath. There is no single retention in it, the guard falls into a recess in the welting and the strap over the spine holds the knife in place. Its hard to describe.
As far as strapping to a pack, theres only one place that a strap can be attached so its not super secure, the basic sheath can be customized with a series of X loops on the back to allow more attachment options, I have a pic somewhere of one of these. I'll see if I can find it

What benefit is there to having kydex in the sheath?
is it for stiffness or retention?
The kydex I use is only flat, not molded, so it offers simply stiffness to the leather, no retention.
Can't wait to get mine. Here at blade and all these are gonna need sheaths soon.
Your stuff is coming together, :) The TGLB sheath is giving me designing fits, but I think I have it down now. The actual making of the sheath will tell me if I did good or back to the drawing board. :p

Thanks Dwayne, sounds like if I'm putting it on a pack l need a standard sheath so let's talk about the open spine.
After your comments, and some more digging through your website I have a decent idea of what I want, but still have a couple holes.
Does a sheath this size need the kydex reinforcement? I can see how it would benefit from being stiffer because of the open spine, but you have some stiff sheaths already.
And secondly, the old fbm sheath only had one snap, what made you go to two?
Thanks for your patience.

Your stuff is coming together, :) The TGLB sheath is giving me designing fits, but I think I have it down now. The actual making of the sheath will tell me if I did good or back to the drawing board. :p

I figured that one would be trouble. I'm gonna have more work for you soon. Blade = too many knives I don't need.

Hey Dwayne, I would imagine there would be enough room for this to work with the chubby NMFSH's that came out at Blade (.36) and the standard ones. Would you agree?

Might be a tad tight where the guard fits into that recess in the welt, but it might work if I add a little more welt. Though, my machine really hates that thick stuff, it might be a hand stitched only option.

As it is the guard tends to bulge the leather a little, but that could be a good thing. :)

Back