Open v.s. Closed Comb Razors

I have been using a Stick Schick injector razor for about the last 30yrs. Tried a few others along the way but always went back to this one. I have a '66 Gillette DE adjustable (family relic) and have tried it out a few times. I just can't get used to the size and balance. The 3" handle is just too short and it feels top heavy.

Cruising the interweb and looking at different razors/reviews today. The Merkur 23c and 25c look interesting. The 4" handle is a plus.

What is the difference between an open and closed comb? Some reviews I've read mentioned the open comb is for more experienced shavers. Not sure what that means.

Stick Schick
2815969.jpg

Gillette
$T2eC16V,!)EE9s2ugivTBQI!4!OKgw~~60_57.JPG

Merkur 25c
RZ-MER-25C.jpg

What is the difference between an open and closed comb?

A "closed comb" razor employs a safety or closed bar. I've attached two pictures, closed comb and open comb razor, which should give you an idea of the difference between the two.

SuperSpeed6.jpg

GilletteOld1.jpg

Some reviews I've read mentioned the open comb is for more experienced shavers.

The general thought is open comb razors are more aggressive and requires an experienced hand. Not true. I've tried quite a few open comb razors (mostly vintage razors). . .some are aggressive and some aren't. Same goes for safety or closed bar razors.

Discussing closed-comb vs open-comb should focus more on how the razors are manufactured. It's all based on geometry - the angle at which the blade is bent inside the razor head, the angle and curve of the upper cap, the length of the comb teeth, position, and angle of the comb area, etc..

You'll see the same thought about "slant" razors, in that they require an experienced shaver. I picked up a Merkur 39C six months ago and it's actually a mild razor, but extremely efficient. If not paying attention, the 39C could be brutal. . .very, very brutal.

The idea that open comb razors are more aggressive seems to persist, though I can think of several countering examples. It's really simple. Aggressive razors are aggressive, regardless of the open comb, safety bar, or whatever. I found Merkur open comb razors close shavers, but not particularly aggressive compared to safety bar razors. GEM open comb razors to be quite aggressive, and demand a careful touch to avoid a harsh shave. Gillette safety bar razors seem universally mild, with old style open comb models marginally more aggressive. The Gillette NEW open comb may have been the most aggressive Gillette ever made, though I would say it's not any more than a GEM closed comb or Schick Injector.

In short, I can't say it would be fair to generalize about open comb vs safety bar/closed comb.

When you say aggresive, I take it you don't mean the same thing as close. Aggressive = more likely to nick?

To quantify agressiveness usually it is measured as blade exposure. There is more to it than that, but its generally a good way to compare apples to apples. I had a 23C and it was a pretty vanilla shaver to me, but very predictable and mild. I prefer a short handle to the long but it was a good razor.

-Xander

So is an old school fatboy or slim aggressive or not? Does the adjustability play in? I just got my first adjustable. I have been using 3 or 4.

Aggressiveness is directly related to blade gap and exposure. A more aggressive razor wont necessarily cause more nicks, but it does mean a closer shave in fewer passes. I haven't tried any of the modern open comb razors, but I pertinently use vintage open comb razors, and believe it or not, with modern blades they are not skin shearing aggressive:p On par with a Gillette adjustable on 7 or 8. A lot of that comes from the thinner modern blades make for a smaller blade gap. For me the biggest advantage of an open comb razor is that it doesn't clog as easily as a closed comb razor if you tend to go for an extended period of time between shaves.

The good thing about DE razors is that if you buy one and don't like how it shaves for you, you can turn around and sell it for almost what you paid for it.

I just got my firt adjustables as well, slims and a Super Adjustable, setting 3 or 4 (4 or 5 on the SA) is very similar to the 40's super speed in aggresiveness. Mild, but 3 passes takes care of it nicely.

-Xander

Thanks for all the info! :thumbup:

I am not up on razor tech. My interest in shaving is;

I have a razor.
I use razor.
Face is smooth.
I am happy.
:D

The vintage stuff always intrigues me (razors and other sharp pointy things). Never looked at razor's aggressiveness. Looking at the Schick and Gillette DE side-by-side, I'd say the Schick is on the aggressive side. Similar to the Gillette set to an 8 or 9.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a Merkur 25c and a package of Red Personna Israeli Double Edge Blades.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

I use a Merkur 38c closed comb and it doesn't seem like it's all that aggressive. I get a great shave with feather blades in it.

I may have to retry a shave with my open comb, New Standard. Yet, I really like my Gillette Super Speed. DM

Well, I was impressed with the first shave with the Merkur 25c. Got a smooth close shave in a couple of passes. It probably shaves better than my old stand-by Schick. Need a little more face time with the 25c to make a call on which is better.

The one thing that stood out as a potential problem is the handles knurling. The plating smooths it out. Add soap and the handle becomes very slippery. Maybe I'll wrap the handle with skater's tape. :p

I have not handled enough razors to be able to tell what "aggressive" is or isn't. Below is a pic of the razor with and without a blade.

403698199.jpg

403698200.jpg

My first DE was a Edwin Jagger DE89L, I thought the lack of knurling would be a problem. Some how though it never was, not sure how they did it, but I never had the razor slip once while I had it:confused:

I don't know if you have a alum block, but I hheard people say that a bit on the finger tips helps with the grip of slippery handles.

It's regularly rotated; a user grade 30's NEW long comb, and shaves beautifully.

P1010003.jpg

Back