Opinel Folding Knives?

Agree that the #9 is the best overall size. I have two #9. Carbon for me, and it cuts like a laser beam. S/S for the wife because she does not know what the word maintenance means.

I have a #7 and really like it alot. Buying one had been in the back of my mind for several years. I just always managed to talk myself out of it. Really sorry I waited so long, I will not be without one now .
My #7 rides easy in the pocket and the handle is comfortable in the hand. I really like the size of it. That being said I would rather go a size bigger than a size smaller. I think that a #6 woud be a ltttle small, at least for me, so if I couldn't get a #7 I would choose a #8.
Jim

Go to google and type in "opinel bladeforums"

But anyways,
They are great. I was surprised when I got mine in the mail. I got a #6 and I wasnt expecting a whole lot.
I was wrong.
Check out the traditional forum and youll see alot of them.

Lovely knives, great design and tougher than they seem.

I heartily agree with the "tougher than they seem" sentiment. :thumbup: An Opinel is no mere picnic knife.

I have a carbon 8 that's great, and a SS no. 6 (shown below) that I've been carrying nearly every day of late (paired with either a Victorinox Rambler or Leatherman Micra). And by the way, while you'll hear loads and loads about how great their carbon steel is, their Sandvik stainless kicks a** as well.

Last edited:
What's not to like? Opinels are extremely affordable, lightweight, simple construction with good materials/steel, comfortable to use and are easy to customise. My favourite is the #7... :thumbup:

opinel701.jpg

-Timber

My faves are (like BladeScout) truncated carbon #12's (I have a couple I've made into sheepfoots just like Scout's) and the carbon #10 in stock trim. The #10 is probably a bit big for many people's pockets, but I wear the cheap carpenter jeans from Walmart on a daily basis, and the watch/coin pockets on them are really deep, so the #10 fits perfectly. A #8 or #9 would probably be better suited for many.

How are they? Amazing. The stainless steel is good and they also use a good carbon steel that doesn't rust too badly but will quickly take on a beautiful natural patina or if you're impatient you can always do it yourself lol. they are a blank canvas for you creative skills. I got a #7 for in pocket carry, has like a 3 inch blade. I want to get an 8 sometime too. You can find more about them on the traditional section here as well too I'd think. But if you know about them and don't have one, you have to at least try one. Its the law lol. Same with swiss army knives, if you like knives you will have one floating around somewhere.

Back