1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinel no7 carbon sharpening

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by lonestar1979, Nov 6, 2018.

1. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I got a new no7 opinel with dull edge from the store couple nights ago.Couldnt cut nothing so I took it to coarse dmt diamond stone for about 5 minutes ,at almost zero angle,then when the burr showed up took it off with small microbevel,maybe about 12degrees per side.This thing whittles and tree tops the hair on pushcut,but when you pull it it literally grabs the hair and skin too.I do not know many factory knives that can match this cutting ability in just 5min of work.All comments welcome...
    Ill make same edge on my stainless ones tomorrow,these things are literally razors.

2. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I generally just use fine grit sand paper to get the edge, then strop with hard leather and green compound. I've got one that I did a near full polish to the blade, but the others I left the factory finish. I don't recall, but I think on a stainless number 8 I did an initial bevel with a stone at a low angle, and then have just stropped since. Seems like something I might do.

3. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    I have an ancient Black Arkansas benchstone that imparts an incredible finishing edge on high carbon steels -- I'm almost afraid to use my Opinel #8 Carbon with that edge.

lonestar1979 likes this.
  4. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I use dmt exclusively for fast sharpening,and edge is scary.

Getting older likes this.
  5. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I need it to develop natural patina,artificial patina doesnt work as well or at all to protect it against rusting.Natural patina on few other opinels does the job.