Opinel Opinions?

I finally ordered one but it may be a while before I get it because I ordered it along with a huge bag of dog chow. I figured for $8, it was definitely worth trying. The all synthetic construction won't swell like wood so it should be pretty much worry free. I also happen to like the mountain design on the handle. Don't need or want the whistle. I'll likely reshape the blade but for those who use pocket knives for food (I use kitchen knives for food), it may actually be a handy blade shape. Recently, someone was asking if a GEC knife was good at spreading peanut butter. This shape is well suited for it and Opinel's full flat ground Sandvik 12C27 takes a razor edge and slices well too. The blade shape is similar to antique picnic folding knives.
outdoor_ndeg07_rouge.jpg

How about a No.12 and a No.6?

YNnwSdF.jpg
I wish my oldies still had the original handle labels still visible like your 12 there! And I want them to bring back the large crowned hand. Not that I dislike the crisp modern OPINEL they're using, but I'm old fashioned (duh, I'm using an Opinel!).
Zieg

I saw a diagram that had the handle labels and year also the crown and hand on the blades and year.

I hope they'll do a plastic handle with the Coghlan taper someday soon.

They could probably add a whole line with the plastic handles. I don't have the whistle or one hand opening blade in mind. Just plastic handles in different colors. I'm surprised they haven't already. But it may actually be a bit more expensive for them to manufacture compared to the boxwood --I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to seeing if I like the synthetic or not after I get it. The woods are quite nice and classic.

Does Opinel make the OHO in a plain non-serrated blade? I've only been able to find the serrated model.
Rich

Back