Opinel Outdoor blade swap.

I purchased the new Opinel outdoor recently with a project in mind. Swapping the blade out for an Opinel #8 garden knife. I wanted an Opi for Kayaking but not with the wood handle as swelling would have eventually made the knife unusable.
Dismantling the outdoor was a breeze. I used my Swisstool to pop off the collar and drifted the pin with a small hammer and a center dab. Itwent well and the blade was soon free. The garden knife however was a different matter. I had to completely destroy the knife to get the blade out. After all that work I still had to shim the blade as there is a thickness difference between the 2 blades. I used some brass shim plate of absurd thinness and it worked like a charm. I gave the new blade to a buddy to try and he couldn't believe that I had not bought it like that. I am very happy with the results and the new Opinel #8 kayak and bushcraft is my new EDC.
Newstuff210_zpsca846969.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, that's nice. But wait,.......now I have to 1- get into car, 2-drive to knife shop, 3- purchase both Opis, 4- drive back home, 5- combine them for something great. Love it!!

that's an intersting idea, I like it. I ordered the No 8 outdoor grey yesterday, and after seeing your knife I might have to try swapping out the blade

I really loved the Outdoor but hated the massive serrations.That knife without serrations would be an ideal outdoors and bushcraft folder.

Back