Opinel water resistant; it can be done

Greetings you all:)

Just today I decided to do a little test with my beat up kitchen Opinel 6 just to see if all that sanding down, soaking in line seed oil and vasoline in pivot would make any difference.

I modified the handle some time ago, so it was sanded down good already

Well yesterday I gave the knife a good soaking in line seed oil and a few hours before the test I put some vasoline in the pivot. The vasoline that was left on my hands I wiped down the handle, what I always do when vasolining the pivot of my Opinels.

Then I put the knife in a cup of water planning to let it soak for about 15 minutes and then see.
Well, I forgot the time and an hour later I reminded my no 6.
Upon taking the knife out of the water I noticed all those small drops on the handle.
I dried the knife and the action was virtually the same as before the test.

So you can make the Opi a little more water resistant with a little spending time.

Just wanted to share this with you all.

I'm going to have to try that on my Opinel. The handle swells slightly when wash it and doesn't open as easily.

Thanks for sharing.

Ric

I hold mine pivot up and drip mineral oil into the front end.
Of course, actually soaking in linseed oil will be more effective.

I'm going to have to try that on my Opinel. The handle swells slightly when wash it and doesn't open as easily.

Thanks for sharing.

Ric

I forgot to mention that this is best done with the locking ring removed, otherwise it gets all oily and will atract gunk.

After the dripping cleaning around the pivot area with some sort of alcohol, applying the thinnest film of oil(I use sewing machine high grade oil) and putting the ring back on.

I haven't soaked mine yet. Thanks for letting me know that i should remove the lock ring. How do you remove the it?

Ric

Back