Opinion on natural curly maple

Hello, I would like to hear your opinion of undyed natural curly maple as a knife handle. Any feedback appreciated--Thank You-Mark

Last edited:
I have no idea why anyone would think curly maple needs to be stabilized. I have used if for knife scales, bowls and pens without any issue. Furthermore, figured maple is used for instruments. None of this requires stabilization. On the other hand, big leaf maple. which is usually sold as burl,is highly figured, but soft, and usually does need to be stabilized. This is completely different wood. Marekz.

Last edited:
My favorite !!! Dyed wood makes it look like cheap plastic I think !

Unstabilized wood such as maple has been used throughout history on gunstocks and knife and sword handles. Why should there be any problem now? Maybe people these days expect too much out of things.

Unstabilized maple has been used for centuries in furniture, gunstocks, musical instruments, knife handles, etc. Many very old examples still survive quite well, not just in museums but in people's homes, studios and workshops.

Maple is quite stable but not terribly hard or tough, so it shouldn't be used to bash on things or for long hammer/tomahawk handles. (hickory is the go-to for that, again it doesn't need stabilizing, just reasonable care.) As a knife handle, the user will have to keep maple reasonably clean, oil it occasionally, and not use it a club. It will likely outlast him by far.

Undyed, stabilized maple is of course denser and more resistant to the elements, and makes a very nice, low maintenance handle. Dying it is a matter of taste.

I'm sure the stabilized naturally-colored maple would look great and be most excellent on a knife handle...no doubt about it.:thumbup:

Just to add to that and just my opinion but...

If I make knives out of natural unstabilized wood, looking ahead 100 years from now...if those same knives were taken really good care of and treated well they will have by far greater antique value than ones made with "plasticized" handles. The stabilized wood and stainless steel will be expected to last much longer (nothing really remarkable), but a very well made 100 year old carbon steel knife with a natural wood handle that is still in really good condition will be considered a treasure. That's just how I look at things though, sorry if I got off topic a bit. Stabilized wood has it's place for sure, I just like keeping things natural and authentic....that "woodsy" old time feeling ya know.:D:thumbup:

I have to add my input. Since I have been stabilizing wood, I researched this topic in the past. Most of the replies I got was to keep the Maple natural. Unfortunately, natural maple does not sell when next to nice dark brown or honey brown dyed maple. I will not stabilize any maple anymore unless it is dyed, unless special ordered.

Dennis

I do not think curly maple is solid/oily, or dense enough to be unstabilized, if my assumption is correct ,stabilzed curly maple without dyes, is as natural as you can get--unless ofcourse I am mistaken. Thank You-Mark

In my opinion uncolored curly maple looks great.
But...... a lot of people like it to be dyed, stained or treated to draw more attention to the figure. I am seeing more stained and dyed curly maple on knives than natural color. (Myself, I think the natural color has a more refined elegance.)

As far as whether or not it needs to be stabilized, look at what you see in the custom knives and fixed blade forums. Like walnut, probably over 75% are not having it stabilized.

This is just my 2 cents worth proving I spend way too much time here on the forums.

Maple is quite stable but not terribly hard or tough, so it shouldn't be used to bash on things or for long hammer/tomahawk handles
The problem with that statment is it is "treating" all maple as the same when in fact there are several species and also where it grew is a factor (on a dry hillside or in a swampy area for instance).
Eastern Hard rock or sugar maple can be one of the hardest and toughest woods around with eastern red maple second - it's nothing like western big leaf maple or eastern silver maple, both of which can be beautiful but are generally much softer and less tough.
As to hawk handles I've used maple for hawk handles, inclduing pipe hawk handles, for years (as did many originals) and have had no problems with it braaking under normal usage.
For some of the best non-stabilized eastern hard maple for knife and hawk handles call Dunlaps Woodcrafts in Virginia - prices are reasonable and the wood is always of good quality.

Back