Opinion on stainless opinel / mora needed

Hi

I have tried mora in carbon and stainless and i find that the carbon version edge seems to last better than stainless. I use it for bait cutting duties with a stainless and a carbon. The stainless doesnt seem as sharp. I sharpen them before the trip. I have used the carbon steel mora for some wood carving and fish cleaning and the stainless have been used a couple of times in the kitchen.

Is it too soon to write off the 12c27? ( i bought a few stainless mora but used only one.)

Does anyone share the same opinion? or that i am wrong and should sharpen more ? I just feel they dont cut as well.

now... i am looking to buy opiniel. again theres sanvick and carbon steel. :confused:

which to choose this time. I do not wish to buy stainless only to find that carbon cuts better for longer or vice versa.

Are you sure the SS on the Opinel is sanvik?

I have nothing to say against Carbon Steel Opinels, I own several, but I hate their stainless.

As for the Mora, I don't own any yet.

Are you sure the SS on the Opinel is sanvik?

I have nothing to say against Carbon Steel Opinels, I own several, but I hate their stainless.

As for the Mora, I don't own any yet.

Ive read somewhere that it is. why do you hate the stainless?

I tried it, as a few of my friends did.

Their stainless looks cheap to be honest, feels more like surgical steel than 12c27. (sharpening, edge holding)

I find that my sainless Mora Clipper doesn't hold an edge long enough to be used on wood. I keep it in the kitchen and it does pretty good there.
Moras with the laminated, triflex and regular carbon steel all take and hold a an edge much better.

I've never tried a stainless opinel but my guess is you wont notice as much of a diffirence between opinel steels as you do with moras. The reason being is Mora's carbon blades are much harder than their stainless but the carbon blades on Opinels are quite softer

The carbon steel is 1095 and its edge hold will exceed that of the sandvic. It shouldn't matter that much though, 12C27 is sharp enough, and we are talking about cheap knives here, so you tend to get what you pay for. The Opinel stainless is Inox, which is similar to 12c27, but not exactly the same. Its what is used in SAK's.

... The Opinel stainless is Inox, which is similar to 12c27, but not exactly the same. Its what is used in SAK's.

"Inox" comes from the french "inoxidable", wich means, stainless. In europe, most stainless steels are called inox, while having a different composition.

The opinel is sandvik 12c27, but victorinox uses something similar to 13C26 if I remember correctly. It rusts much more difficult than the sandvik steel. In fact, I've never seen any sak's rust, while many stainless opinels have rust around the pivot area, wich is difficult to clean.

Something else: the opinel is convex, what makes it an excellent cutter while staying sharp quite long considering its used steel.

thanks.any idea what opinel blades are tempered to? are the stainless any harder than a mora stainless.

Back