Opinion wanted: Gransfors Bruks vs. Cegga - double bit

If you've had experience with both large axes (single or double bit...but I'm gonna LOOK for a double bit),

and

you had the chance to buy either, and a similar price...which would you prefer? and why?

Thanks all -

Venice Will

I've done a lot of work with 2.5-6lb axes. What will you be using this axe for? Do you know what your preferred weight is? The GB is 3lbs. From what I understand, the vast majority of axes in logging camps in the northeast were around 3 or 3.5 lbs. In other words, this is a nice working weight and still light enough to carry/swing all day.

I have the GB splitting maul and I have seen, but not swung, the felling axes. They are a great product. I have not seen a Cegga in person. From what I have seen, I would expect his to be equal or even greater in terms of fit/finish.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong. I would make sure you know the weight and blade profile you want and go from there.

Venice,

You want to ask Fiddleback about his D-bit Cegga:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/507335-Nessmuk-Hatchet-by-Ceggga

Nessmuk2.jpg
373541023_7c86f0a01e.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder what the edge angle of a Cegga is?

From the pictures I've seen of his stuff his edges aren't as thin as a GB so they probably don't cut as deep.

This review seems to suggest that:

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/05/brief-look-at-cegga-custom-hatchet.html

For the same overall weight, the Wildlife Hatchet manages to outperform the Cegga axe, at least in hard wood.

In my experience it's hard to find a custom hatchet with a nice thin edge like a GB has (which I like). Lee Reeves is the only one I have that comes close.

Most other hatchets I have to thin the edge down to get any traction with because the main species around here are oak and hard maple and the edge has to be sharp to cut efficiently.

Last edited:
The GB is shaped like a throwing axe not something anyone would actually use for cutting wood. Word is that the cheeks are too thin to spit out the chips and that it likes to stick (as a throwing axe should and as a cutting axe shouldn't).

OTOH it would look great on the wall of a man cave. Just keep it out of the back yard or the woods.

I killed a GB DBL bit in below freezing conditions on a black locust. Just as a test we hammered the same tree with a wildlife hatchet and a hunters axe with no problem. A friend of mine had a 3 1/2 pound POS that did not break, but we were not going to cut the tree down with it either. In hindsight the grind was just too thin in my opinion. Its not like you are really going to penetrate a black locust so deep that sticking will be a problem.
I broke both bits on that GB DBL bit. GB replaced it.
I have moved on. I now use vintage axes but still use GB hatchets now and then. They are good. NO BS and don't let anybody tell you they are not. Just depends on what you want them to do if a vintage piece is better or not.

Back