Opinions of AUS118 and CRKT Viele Wasp

Well, what do ya think? Was looking at the CRKT Viele Wasp, if anyone owns one, I'd like your impressions of it.

I am buying one this week. They look like nice knives, I too will be watching this thread for replies in regards to preformance.

I remember that the liner is kind of hard to get into when I tried it myself. Otherwise it looked pretty good.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Wasp made from ATS 34?

It is very nice gentleman’s knife, especially smaller one - classy looking and well executed of premium materials. Also is strong enough for most of peaceful cutting tasks so it could make reasonable daily carry, especially bigger one. Great for office carry because it looks bystander friendly and usually doesn’t cause unwanted sensations when used for daily cutting chores.
However the handle is not the paragon of comfort and security, the pointy rear end can bit the palm on hard work.

BOK,
Crkt claims they are using AUS118 steel in the blade, but if they are using ATS-34 that's fine by me, my EDC is ATS-34 and I like it. I was just curious as to the qualities or problems with AUS-118.

Calyth,
Trouble getting to the lock? Specify if you can. I haven't bought the knife, just considering it, so any impressions are appreciated.

Well I've only tried it one or twice and it was kind of hard to get the liner to release.

I am buying [a CRKT Viele Wasp] this week. They look like nice knives, I too will be watching this thread for replies in regards to preformance.
Well, I've been waiting quite awhile for the reviews to start coming in. If
I don't see anything by January 1, I'm going to give up!

Well, I've been waiting quite awhile for the reviews to start coming in. If
I don't see anything by January 1, I'm going to give up!

ROFL , this thread is like five years old bro ! :D

That said I have two Wasps , big one and little one.
I like them both a lot , I consider them 'dress knives' , a little too pretty for my profession.
Titanium handles, G10 scales , small xytel backspacer. I thought the thumbstud was a bit off in the scheme of the knife with the rubber insert so I pimped mine , overall both knives were pimped but I'm too lazy right now to take pics , if you really want me to I will though.
The blade is sort of a modified Wharncliffe , perfect for cutting , slicing or piercing , and takes a nasty sharp edge.

The blade steel is Aus 118
Surgical Grade Stainless Steels
AUS-6M, AUS-118, 440C, and 400 Series Stainless. The benchmark for many knives now, and used extensively by most manufacturers. Very good sharpness, edge retention is acceptable but the steel is easy to service and sharpen. Corrosion resistance is good.

Best thing ? I bought both on sale at Big5 a while back. :)

My dad got one for under $20 from Big 5 a while bck. Very nice knife for that price, which reminds me, I need to send it to Tom Krein for a regrind, as the edge thickness (.030") was theonly thig I could really fault on the knife.

Mike

They were pretty expensive about a year ago. Now they've come down a bit. Are they back in production?

I have the small one and have never used it, but it is a purty little thing.

Has it been five years????

Man, I've been checking it every few days seein' if there were some reviews. Actually, have you ever noticed people sayin' they're gettin' this or that in in about a week and they'll get back to us, then nothing!!! Or they'll ask for advice, then they won't log in and tell us what decision they ultimately made.

Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't get the bigger one.

Back