Opinions on Bob Terzoula's knives

ARtsig1

Banned
Asked earlier in the week for some opinions on Tom Anderson folders. I now want some opinions on Bob Terzoula folders. More specifically the ATCF. Just ordered one from Les and should have it by tomorrow. Any owners lets hear it, how do they stand up?
I have a titanium framed one with micarta overlay on one side comming.

All comments welcome!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I recently picked up a G-10 ATCF at a knife show and I am very impressed. It opens very smoothly without flopping open like some liner locks. The liner is thick and lines ups solidly on the blade to make a firm lock up. The overall quality of the knife is very high as one would expect on a custom, with excellent grind lines and sharpness etc. I think that my ATCF is finest tactical style knife I own.

I like his stuff, smooth and well-done. Not much more to say, the guy's reputation is impeccable, and many who were around at the time credit him for starting the tactical folder craze, and innovating many of its features. The only complaint on my >5 year old Terzuola is that the liner sticks very slightly up above the handle scales, and so is vulnerable to accidental release when holding the knife firmly. I vaguely remember (or maybe mis-remember) others complaining about this several years, and Bob himself acknowledging it. I think the newer models have the liners lower now.

Joe

I can't speak for his folders...but I can for his fixed blades. I bought one of his custom fixed blade fighters about 10 years ago from him. I waited a few months for it...but I got it and could not be more pleasd with it. Keep in mind that when I bought it...he was virtually unkown! I stumbled across his work in a gun magazine all those years ago. Well the long and short of it is this: It has an 6 1/2 inch blade..spearpoint style...sharpened false edge and micarta scales. He placed a strip of scateboard tape along the bottom edge of the handle for grip retention. It came in an inside the waistband kydex sheath (I had never even heard of kydex back then...he was a pioneer with the stuff). The blade is bead blasted and sharp as a razor. I never had the nerve to use it to cut anything...so it sits in my sock drawer.

The grinds are flawless....the handle is perfect...the only flaws on the knife are by me taking it out of the kydex every so often..it has got some rub marks from the kydex....which is why I hate the stuff!!

Bottom line...you can't go wrong with a Terzuola knife...he was building them perfectly....years ago!

Rav

Thanks for the responses guy's. I am looking forward to seeing this knife. I was between the Century Starfighter and the ATCF. The double liners on the ATCF sold me although I understand that the Starfighter is also very sturdy even with a single liner. How does the ATCF ride as far as clip placement, low in the pocket? How much of the handle sticks out? Thanks abgain for the responses.

------------------
Art Sigmon

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"

...I have an ATCF and think the workmanship is great, although, I think all his blade shapes are kind of common. He needs to,"exite", them alittle.....Ironhorse...

My daily carry knife is an ATCF, and I've owned several other folders by Bob. They are great knives. To really appreciate one, you need to compare it with another good custom - because you'll see all the small details he's put into the design. As noted above, he recessed the liner a bit to prevent white-knuckling, for example. The thumb ramp fits neatly into the finger guard when closed, for another. Rock-tight lock up on the liner, perfect mill work, and his grinds are always nicely symetrical. Mine has a tip up carry clip that shows very little of the knife, which is the way I like 'em.

Its true the blade design is not as aggressive as it could be, but it is extremely good for a wide variety of daily tasks. And, from a aesthetical perspective, its nice to carry the knife that begat a generation of knives. He is also a great customer service guy who will take care of any (unlikely)problems you may have.

I've had my titanium bolstered CF handled ATCF for over a year and it is my daily carry knife. I was hesitant to carry it at first, but it has "aged" very well. It locks up tight and solid with no blade play. Highly recommended.

Later,
Chris

Have an ACTF that I traded away and just recently got back.Nice stuff from the Master of Tacticals.

------------------

have a"knife"day

I have had a few of Bob's knives and they have all been extremely precise and solid. Of all custom makers, I would say Bob T's work ranks close to the top of the list. Check with any of the makers here and I bet they would consider it a real honor to be considered in Bob's league.

You will be very pleased with your knife.

------------------
Win if can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Art,

enjoy!

I did try to buy this baby, but was to late, but I did handle it (this is exactly yours).

Greetings
red

I've had an ATCF in my pocket for over a year now. Solid knife,solid lock,great edge holding,looks great.
I believe Bob will recess your liner lock on older knives.
As for the blade shapes being common, all I can say is that he was here first. Bob was one of the first, if not the first to make a tactical knife, first to use thumb disc,nylatron self lubing washers,etc. The shape of his blades have been copied many times.
I agree it's not overly aggressive as in a fighting design, but it's not advertised as a fighting knife, though I've no doubt it would hold it's own.

------------------
Dave (Phil.4:13)
I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me
Lifter at work: www.profitness.com/Profiles/profileDaveAbramson

Thanks for all of the positive feedback! Can hardly wait for it to arrive. I dug out my copy of "The Tactical Folding Knife" bt Bob T. and now am really excited about this knife. Thinking now about a full bolstered model with G-10 or Micarta handle slabs. Les you out there? Got anything like that comming in? Oh well, I will have to keep my eyes open.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the knife knuts out there!!!!

------------------
Art Sigmon

Well my ATCF came today. Thank you Les for your prompt service. It is everything I expected it to be. This knife has a very smooth action, exceptional lockup with no play in the blade in any direction, no amount of pressure I could apply to the back of the blade would make the lock budge. I love the shape of the handle and blade. I've already spoken to Les about a full bolstered/G-10 model. I do like the way this one rides in my pocket. The clip side has no overlay while the opposite side has micarta. Lies very flat in my pocket. First liner lock that I've seen that has such a positive closing action. All in all I am extremely pleased with this peice. Might just go ahead and get that Starfighter!

------------------
Art Sigmon

astoningly fast service,
and isn't it asthonishing how fast one can become addicted
smile.gif

Greetings
red

Artsig, I ordered one of Bob`s ATCF folders about 10 years ago and waited for a year to get it. It had titanium handles and I believe I paid 350.00 for it. Can`t remember for sure it`s been so long and so many knive ago. But I remember using it for about 6 months and flicking it many times. But after about 6 months the liner lock went all the way to the other side of the handle and the blade had play in it. I was so discusted with it that I gave it to my nephew who was about 10 at the time. He still has it. When I ordered it, it was advertised as having a metal clip but when I got it, it had a plastic clip on it. The clip would not hold it in your pocket and you could not bend it like a metal clip to make it tight again. I saw Bob at the blade show in Atlanta about 5 or 6 years ago and told him about the shortcomings of the knife and he told me to send it back to him and he would make everything right. So at least he was willing to stand behind his knife. So, I don`t mean to bad mouth him because he was willing to make it right. But now his fixed blade knives are a different story. I thing he has made and designed the best fixed blades ever. Just my 2 cents worth. Later, Roger

Back