Opinions on JD Smith

Anyone have any experience with the JD Smith model? It looks like a Spyderco crossed with a classic lockback knife. I like the looks of it but I've never heard a thing.

Make sure you wait until the reworked JD appears. The first try left some QC to be desired. It is also astronomically priced for an ATS-34 and G-10 lockback.

I thought it was micarta. Still, I agree that the price seems steep. Regarding the QC, are you saying that all of them up to now have been that first run?

The Spyderco page lists it as the VG-10/Micarta, but the original was ATS-34/G-10 (I thought...can't find any info on the original - it was smooth polished in any case). Can't tell you about production numbers or status... The QC problems aren't anything that will cause the knife to fail, it's just not as clean in the F/F as one would like.

So does *anyone* actually own this knife? It's too good-looking for me to believe otherwise.

I did own it. It was part of my Collectors Club "Here's the ones you have to buy to get your number" package. I didn't keep it long enough to get clear on the G-10/micarta thing ;) . Suffice it to say that the dealer I traded it to 18 months ago is still trying to dump it.

Schmackey, I have one and it is a decent knife. The action is a bit stiff but it is good looking and very comfortable to handle. My only criticism is that it is a bit big for my taste. I would like one closer to 3" in terms of blade length.

Hi Shmackey, yes, some of us here do own a JD Smith (old version). I like this knife alot and was a favorite carry of mine for quite some time. Some people make too much of an issue of the QC "problem," and fail to see the beauty of this design. The blade profile is what I like the most about this knife--it looks sleek from the side but yet it has a fairly thick back. The opening hole is integrated into the blade profile without the necessity of a hump. The micarta handle added a touch of class but had sharp edges that dug into my fingers when the knife was gripped tightly. IMO, overall the knife gives the impression of a sexy "Italian" piece as opposed to a "tactical" weapon. I used it to cut pizza, sandwiches, fruit, open letters/boxes, cut loose thread, clip newspaper/magazine articles, etc.

How would I improve on this knife? I would like to see this knife made with a VG-10 blade, adjustable pivot, dual ss liners and ti scales. If I were JD, I would insist that my design be treated with this respect. ;)

When Sal G. and I spoke at the last show in NYC, he stated that micarta would eventually be phased out as a handle material for folders. During weather changes it can actually change in dimensions and the tolerances of lockup, etc. is affected. G10 is much more stable in most all environments. VG10 is a plus.

Nakano

That's interesting about micarta--although I would think it's a non-issue in knives with dual liners.

I have to agree about VG-10. If VG-10 doesn't cost more than ATS-34 or even 55 (and I have no idea if it does or doesn't), it should be everywhere.

I just picked up a JD Smith this week.

I was web shopping for one and had ruled it out because of a similar thread I started in Knife reviews I believe.

Then while on vacation last week I stopped into a knife shop on the reccomendation of another forumite. They did have the Smith in stock and I just had to see it for myself because I have an affinity for the G-10 and Micarta Spydies.

First off, it is without a doubt Micarta.

I held it in my hand for about 5 seconds, checked the QC and set it in the "I'll buy these" stack. I paid exactly $84 for it and feel it is worth every penny.

Some have said that since it only has a single steel liner that it could be weak, I don't see that as being a problem. The lock-up is perfect with no movement or even light clicking and it's as smooth as butter.

I carried this knife for 5 days after getting it and used it for a lot of things, mainly as a general camp folder.

It is now one of my favorite Spyderco's (along with about 8 others :))

The only flaw in the design from my standpoint is that it would have been better served with an adjustable pivot, I like them a little tighter than most factory set tensions.

I'd say buy one. :D

1st: Try it first in YOUR hand (always).
Personally I feel that my JD Smith is difficult to open. Much more than any other spyde to me.
When I pick Spyderco for some "camping carry" (I like to have folder for small things and fixed blade for hard use) I pick usually large Calypso or Starmate.
OTOH it is just me. If JD fits to you and you like it´s shape then it´s your choise. For some reason it is still in my collection even that I don´t prefer it;)

Back