Opinions on Kershaw "Blackout"

I'm considering picking up a Kershaw Onion "Blackout" and would like to hear any impressions (good and bad). Kershaw has really impressed me lately so info will be appreciated. Thanks much. -Rick

I recently picked up a Blackout at Wal-Mart and it's a cool knife. The Speedsafe works great, and the liner on mine engages to the beginning of the tang where I like it. It feels comfortable in the hand and clips nicely to the pocket.
I still feel my Benchmade Griptilian 550 is a stronger, more solid knife overall, and will remain my main or co-EDC, but I will be using the Blackout as an occasional EDC. It makes for an excellent light to medium-duty pocketknife.
Jim

A friend of mine had one and was very happy with it. Used it for six months with no problems at all. Still, I'd sooner go for an Avalanche. Similar shape, but G-10 scales instead of plastic, and 440V blade instead of 440A.

I have a Whirlwind. Great knife; solid lockup, speedsafe mechanism works fine, no problems at all with accidental openings (I've dropped it about 20 times and it only opened once out of those, and no instances at all of it opening in my pocket), can get the blade back to shaving sharp with about 2 minutes of work.

Thanks for everyone's input. Still not sure if I'm going to grab one yet but for $50 or so, really seems tempting.

One last question for all, how does the black coating hold up? Any rusting problems? Thanks again. -Rick

Back