Opinions on Quilted Micarta

nick681

Gold Member
I am seriouslyu contemplating purchasing a new Natural Outlaw but I have questions about the Quilted Micarta Handle.
My Stell Heart II has the Micarta Handles with the grooves running across the handle. The grip is way to smooth for my taste. It feels like it would slip in wet or slimey conditions. The blade design would keep my hand from sliding up the blade or off the bottom of the handle but I think there is too much sliding around.
Does the quilted Micarta offer a better grip? Or would a cord wrapped handle work better?
I am in Germany, so I can't handle and compare the Quilted vs. Smooth handle slabs.
Any input would be appreciated.

------------------
Arguing with a GRUNT is like wrestling with a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the little pig loves it.

Nick :

My Stell Heart II has the Micarta Handles with the grooves running across the handle. The grip is way to smooth for my taste.

My Battle Mistress has the same grip and I feel the same way. It can handle water ok, but anything more extreme and the handle becomes nonfunctional.

would a cord wrapped handle work better?

I have tried cord wraps as well as high friction tapes, both are an improvement. I have not used the new handles.

-Cliff

I know what you mean about the smooth feel of the grooved micarta. I have that grip on a Battle Mistress variant, and it will slip and slide a little. For chopping chores, to me that's not a problem, as the anchor talons and handle shape offer adequate security. I like to be able to let the handle slip a little during heavy blows, anyway, especially while wearing gloves.

I do have the quilted micarta on a Mean Street, and it's much rougher. The finish over all is quite rough, and the quilted design offers a knobby quality to the mix. In my opinion, it's a much more secure grip than the smooth/grooved, even in a small-diameter handle as on the MS. On a larger handle, I think it should offer excellent security.

I also have a couple of knives with cord-wrapped, epoxy-impregnated handles. I don't know that anything really competes with a well-executed wrapped handle for grip, but I find the micarta more desireable for any knife that will be used for food preparation. In my opinion, it's very difficult to keep a wrapped grip clean enough to guard against bacterial contamination. The micarta is also easier to keep clean of the ubiquitous "mud and the blood and the beer", IMO.

Good luck--Will

I have the Busse Basic #7 and the handle fits me like a glove. I love it,however, I also have a Lean Mean Street with the diamond pattern micarta and it feels rough but very secure. I like the way the MS handle feels like it was made to fit my hand since I have a small hand. Soooo I guess I can say I just love both the Basic and the Quilted handles. The grooved micarta does not sound like I would care for it. It even SOUNDS slippery.
biggrin.gif

Get them all!

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington

I also have a Lean Mean Street with the diamond quilted micarta. I like the feel of it, pebbly & slightly rough. I believe it would be pretty nonslick even when wet.

Doug.

Doug; Does your LMS have the lanyard hole and the talon hole in it. Mine does not but Andy assured me that it is still the real McCoy.
biggrin.gif

How do you like yours and was is sharp when it arrived? You can e-mail me your answer if you prefer.
Ron
Originally posted by Hart:
I also have a Lean Mean Street with the diamond quilted micarta. I like the feel of it, pebbly & slightly rough. I believe it would be pretty nonslick even when wet.

Doug.

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington

[This message has been edited by muzzleup (edited 09-13-2000).]

I have the older "lined" version of handle on my Steel Heart, and the newer quilted style on my Desert Warfare Mean Street.

[disclaimer]For my own use[/disclaimer], I have found both handles to be suited for their task. The lightly smoother SH handles provide enough flexibility in the grip to allow sufficient movement during chopping without creating Insta-Blister, but still afford great grip when wet. I haven't had a need yet to use it while slimy with oils, grease, or blood (critter or otherwise : ^ P ).

The quilting on the DWMS gives a great grip that offers excellent control during the smaller, finer tasks that a smaller knife is normally used for, even while slimed with automotive coolant and trans fluid, and, when recently used by a friend in Colorado who bagged a buck during an early archery season hunt, in critter goo. My pal is sold on the diamond quilting, and thinks that the size and shape of the MS is awesome for a hunting blade. I never thought to ask him his opinion of the thickness of the blade, but I'm guessing that if he had any specific comments, he'd have let me know.

This is just my own experience, but so far, I think the different handle textures, relative to the working combo that I have now, and what I've used them for so far, is ideal.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

[This message has been edited by DonL (edited 09-14-2000).]

Thanks Guys!

It sems the diamond quilted handle is a winner. I appreciate the input from everyone. I even recieved an e-mail from the folks at Busse Combat. I guess the only thing to do now is place an order for the "Natural Outlaw" with Andy and see for myself.
Of course once I recieve the knife and an am happy with the Busses I have the folder will hit the scene and will have to buy yet another Busse. It's a vicious cycle.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Arguing with a GRUNT is like wrestling with a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the little pig loves it.

Back