Opinions on the 154CM Gerber Gator??

Have the itch for a new knife---for $40 the Gator seems like a lot of knife and I like the drop point too.

Gerber seems to get trashed a lot and I'm wondering if the Gator might be the exception.

Have the itch for a new knife---for $40 the Gator seems like a lot of knife and I like the drop point too.

Gerber seems to get trashed a lot and I'm wondering if the Gator might be the exception.

gerber does get trashed alot, some of it is called for and some of it not.
NOT ALL GERBERS ARE CREATED EQUAL!
ive heard good things about the gator, but i cant tell you as i dont have one
My great gerbers
Freeman folder:thumbup:
Hinderer Rescue knife:thumbup:
Gerber mini fastdraw:thumbup: (shouldnt even be around as much as ive abused it)
ivan

I've read a lot of bad things about Gerber, too, but the Gerber Gator I own is a rather well-build knife and a useful tool. Even though fit and finish are not up to Spyderco's level and the Manix for example is a tougher folder I found the Gator to be both a solid and lightweight knife with excellent ergos. Its flat ground blade excells at cutting and the 154CM holds an edge reasonably well. My knife displays no blade play. If I lost it, I would buy it again instantly. It's truly a workhorse.

Mike

My Dad had a normal mystery steel gator, and it is a fantastic knife. The 154CM would probably be even better.
It's a 110 but lighter. What's not to like?

Well, I've sharpened a few Gators for people and the ones made out of the "premium" steel (ats-34 and 154cm) seemed to have well heat treated blades.

My Gerber Alliance's 154cm blade seems well heat treated. too.

If you like the design, and a lot of people do, I'd say get it.

Well I'll bring this thread up from the dustbin of history...

A package came to me today, contained a gerber gator 154cm... Other than some scissors kicking around the house this will be my only fiskers(gerber) product.

The bad: no pocket clip, flimsy sheath, rubbery in hand, handle material that will grip on fabric when you pocket or pull out of pocket...

The good: awesome knife :) inexpensive, high value for 40ish $, 154cm... What! Yup 154cm, uber light, and a design that speaks to me and fits in my hand like a custom.

Anyhow, thought I'd share my good fortune...

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Hc9Uw0835ig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc9Uw0835ig[/video]

I picked and old one up from a mil.surp dealer (seen some heavy use for sure). It must be from the 90's and natutally sharpened into a recurve due to the wearing of the serrations. Very well taken care of (but people here don't abuse their tools)

The lock is ROCK solid and smooth. It's like a modern 110.

I carried an early 90's Gerber Gator throughout the majority of my Boy Scouts career, and would recommend that particular Gerber anyday. Can't really say too many nice things about their other knives.

I was gifted some money last week and I picked up the gator and a zt0562cf. Interesting how cost isn't always the best indicator about the level of satisfaction one may get from a knife purchase. I knew the zt was going to be awesome, but the gator, well, I was so surprised and pleased that it would be fair to say that in a situation where I've cut with neither and my use has been limited to holding and opening -- to be fair, the flipping mechanism is light years ahead of what the gator has to offer... And in comparison, one may as well be a butter knife compared to the zt0562cf -- so far I have obtained equal amounts of utility from these knives (which in this case, utility = pleasure).

Back