1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Opinions on the KOENIG Arius?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by FN in MT, Oct 15, 2018.

1. FN in MT

FN in MT

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm new to the world of high end folders. I've had some nice fixed blades back when I hunted, still have my Randall 5 and a nice Dan Denehy 4" and a 3" skinner Ruana.

But pretty uneducated when it comes to folders. I've recently picked up a few from Benchmade; a 940, a Bugout and a Proper.

But my Friday visit to the Blade West show last week in Portland , has really ruined me. A couple of folders are constantly on my mind, I've been reading anything and everything I can find on therm. I really liked the OLAMIC 247 , but even worse.... The KOENIG Arius! What an absolute thing of beauty! BOTH are keepers, but really fell hard for the Arius.

Looked all over for Dealers who stocked them and have an opportunity coming up this week as two Dealers have several inbound. So I may get lucky.

All this will be is a "good wear" carry or Gentleman's folder. Not going to see heavy use. I simply loved the design and it's execution.

And the $500 tag isn't a killer. NO kids at home, bills paid up, worked hard for 40+ years, retired now, so I'm indulging myself.

Whats the general opinion on the Arius and KOENIG? Especially from those who actually own/owned one?

Thanks.

Pharmagator and Justin Schmidt like this.
  2. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    I absolutely love mine. I went the carbon fiber route. If you get one of those, the textured or patterned carbon fiber scale is a little grippy and has a pattern on the titanium side whereas the other does not. Here’s an interesting thread if you want to see some pictures.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/show-off-your-koenig.1605687/

And, a picture I shot of mine yesterday.

[​IMG]

OilMan and FN in MT like this.
  3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I personally am not a fan, but the ones I have held at a past knife show were all fantastic in fit/finish/feeling like a quality product, and those who own them seem to love theirs.

4. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    It’s a very telling thing that people who say they don’t like the Arius consistently dislike it for design/style reasons, rather than calling out quality or construction. I respect that. It says, “this is a knife that we all agree is a very high quality product”, and leaves the buy decision squarely in matters of taste.

I had no interest in the Arius, until I went into a shop in Boise and got to handle four of them. I was surprised at how well I liked the ergonomics, which were what I expected to dislike. I was also surprised at how consistent they are from one to the next. Everything down to lockbar tension has felt identical every time I’ve handled them.

Frankly, the Arius damn near ruined other competitive options for me. It’s just so well executed. I went to Blade West expecting to leave with an Arius or a Liong Mah Eraser, and and left with a Wayfarer 247.

Justin Schmidt and Lance Leon like this.
  5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Very well made knife just not my type of knife. I didn't like the design but Respect the maker. Same with the goblin.

Avoid fenatic edge if you get one. Very bad sharpener and modder. He will reduce the value of it if he's done anything to it. He's the reason why they don't warranty mods on these knives.

Justin Schmidt and DRLyman like this.
  6. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Not that I'd be sending a knife to him in the first place, but you may have helped others, too.

Mo2 likes this.
  7. vanadium

vanadium

Apr 5, 2003
    They're impeccable, but don't buy one unless you're in love with the design. There are a lot of fish in the sea, a lot of beauties at this price point, although only a few as mechanically perfect as the Arius.

8. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I’ve got one that I loved, and had an older model previously. Both were fantastic and I plan on keeping my current one. I highly recommend it. DLT trading still has some in stock. :D

9. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Love my Arius, picked up a second one. My Wayfarer 247 rarely sees pocket time anymore.

10. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I haven’t owned one and personally I find it ugly, but there seems to be concensus that it is an outstandingly built knife.

I say if it appeals to you go for it.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  11. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    DO IT! I aim to as soon as the cash appears.

12. thegreatwhite

thegreatwhite Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2018
    I own 6 and have another 3 on the way, so this may be a bit bias....

Specifically, the CF version of the arius is my favorite knife of all my knives, including CRKs, Norseman, Hinderer, Demko, Brown, Shiro, southard. CF version gets the most time in pocket. Super light weight for the size, fall shut everytime, fun to play with, probably been flicked 100 times a day, hollow grind, lockbar easy to disengage. I've taken apart my arius 4 or 5 times for cleaning and it always goes back the same way, never needed loctite. The ergos are amazing because they fit comfortably in many sized hands. It also does not have a free-spinning pivot.
    The only thing missing for me would be a finger choil.

If you get a chance to buy a CF version, do it. No regrets. My go-to carry everyday

13. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    The Koenig Arius was on my list until I broke my buying habit... but I still find it tempting.
    Had a 247, briefly - it was a disappointment; so I sold it.

14. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Looooove mine and will never part with it. I intend to get a carbon fiber one someday for sure. Only one thing from keeping it from being perfect imo - the lockbar edge. Too sharp. Luckily it disengages so easily it does not hurt but is just to sharp in not opinion. They don’t champher the edge at all really. If they had done that I probably would quit looking at other knives.

That being said I still will buy another and if they make one the same size but more narrow I will buy 3 of those!

15. FN in MT

FN in MT

Apr 5, 2015
    " I own 6 and have another 3 on the way" !!

You Sir are my Hero!

Seriously...Thanks all of You, for the great replies. I'll post whatever I end up with, as soon as I can find one.

DRLyman likes this.
  16. FN in MT

FN in MT

Apr 5, 2015
    I REALLY liked The Olamic Wayfarer 247 when I handled them. I fully intended to snag one from the Show. Then got sidetracked and never returned on Saturday as I had planned to.

My desires on a 247 are pretty plain Jane. All I'd want is a base 247, blue hardware, and the standard blasted scales. Should I REALLY fall in love with it, I'd probably then order up something a bit more personalized.

What diid you end up with?

17. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    That reply made me want to offer a fist bump. I tend to favor plain, uncoated blades, plain ti handles, and just a little on the hardware to provide subtle splash. If I had put off getting a 247 until I got home, I’d have ordered plain Jane handles, blue hardware, and an upgraded backspacer matching the hardware.

Having the opportunity to get a little flash on one, for plain Jane pricing, directly from Eugene and Ilya at Blade West, I had to jump on it.

This is mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tanto (theirs is the only tanto I like), dark blast handle + clip, progressive hole pattern, ‘jewel’ finish internals/hardware/backspacer. Even the inside of the show side scale is jeweled.

I’ve been thoroughly impressed with the knife, and with their next level customer focus. Eugene touched bases with me a couple days after the show after apparently seeing something I’d said, just to express thanks. I couldn’t be happier to support the way they do business.

FN in MT, vox801 and Quiet like this.
  18. myowngod

myowngod

Dec 3, 2009
    I semi-copied RBid and ordered a 247 following his post on his blade show acquisition. Have yet to try an Arius but it's on my list!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FN in MT and RBid like this.
  19. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    That is a very cool way of doing a semi-copy! Same blade, handle external blast, and hole pattern, so they feel like brothers, but that blue internal and clip mark it as it’s own thing! I like it! What did you do for the backspacer?

20. FN in MT

FN in MT

Apr 5, 2015
    RBid,

VERY nice! I would have succumbed to something similar had I gone back on Saturday.

Over the weekend , I e mailed Ilya and ended up ordering a plain Jane 247; Dark blasted scales, blue hardware, light blasted pocket clip. Supposed to be in schedule for production this week.

Luckily I sold a .220 Swift M-70 I seldom shoot, so have some Winchester money burning a hole in my pocket.

Myowngod......Like yours as well.

RBid likes this.