Opinions on the Spyderco Manix 2 in black

482.jpg

What do you guys think of the Manix 2 by Spyderco?

The only other "tactical" looking Spyderco is the Tenacious... I'm hoping to get something with a little better blade steel and construction.

The only thing that concerns me with the Manix 2 is the rocker lock... I've heard around the interwebz that rocker locks almost always develop blade play over time. Is this true?

Any of your thoughts and opinions on the Manix 2 would be appreciated.

Locking mechanism: Caged Ball Bearing Lock (CBBL).
I have 3 Manix 2s. Manix 2 (154CM), Manix 2 XL, Manix 2 FRCP Translucent Blue Lightweight. I haven't experienced any blade play. I don't see a problem.

I have a Para2, a Tenacious and just recently got an older Manix 2.

some casual observations:
The Tenacious and Manix2 are a little taller when closed than the Para2.
The handle of the Tenacious seems a bit short to me, the other 2 handles feel good to me.
The blade shape is good on all of them but I think I like the looks of the FFG blades better than the Manix2 hollow ground blade.
My un-skeletonized Manix2 is heavier than the Tenacious, which I think is barely heavier than the Para2.
All 2 knives operate smoothly but the lock on the Manix2 is harder for me to operate one-handed.

I really like the Manix 2, it's heavier and wider when closed than the Para2, but it feels more solid, it's actually one of the most solid "feeling" knives I have when the blade locks open, partly perhaps because of the stiff spring in the bearing lock. Pretty deep pocket clip, S30V, and made in the USA very good grip. Mine does have a bit of side/side blade play just like my Para2 does and I don't think it's uncommon. However I have not tried to do anything to adjust it out either and can only feel it when I'm cranking on it pretty good to try and induce it. Good blade shape, a little thicker than the para 2, nice lanyard hole.

If I were to change it I'd probably lower the jimping even with the slabs, extended non-glove use can be kinda tough on the hand and I'd round the handle edges a bit more, but I like a really nice larger radius handle edge. For me it's also harder to close one handed than other designs, it's not frustrating, just not as easy as a liner/compression, I'd say about the same as the axis. If I was constantly needed to open/close a knife with one hand that might be a downside.

Considering you get made in the USA, S30V, G10 for around $80 if you shop around for the satin blade, that's really pretty amazing.

It, along with the Para2, Southard, and PPt are my most carried Spydies.(oh yeah, the Delica 4 and Endura 4 too. Then there's the Native 5 and Caly 3....... Heck, Spyderco has so many great offerings, it's hard to decide what to carry!):D

It's definitely heavier than the others, but sometimes I like that or don't mind it. I have confidence in the locking system and have encountered no problems with mine.

9209698038_c1e34f50d8_b.jpg

I have had and still quite a few Spydercos. Ambitious, tenacious, manix 2 154cm, a few dlc manix 2s, manix 2 xl, Zulu, Chinese lum, native 5 g10, Southards, etc. I love them all.

1C18271C-8AEB-49C1-A8E5-06F100CE6BF9-6128-000006491F20A48F_zps1d3758d8.jpg

Back