OPK - Good investment or overpriced?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Evany, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    I just bought a Sable IV, am I crazy? I've wanted one since they first came out. Couldn't afford one at the time, as it was something I'd only get limited use out of. But it seems like they keep going up in price and getting harder and harder to find. I justified it as a good investment. Those of you who own or collect OPKs--what do you think of the Sable IV? will they keep appreciating in value? How are they to use in the field, etc?

loon#r likes this.
  2. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    He’ll yeah it’s a good buy. I’ve missed a few sable opportunities this year. Good for you.

I’ve heard nothing but positive things about it.

3. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Everything seems to point towards the OPK's (particularly the early ones) going up in value. They seem to be heading the same way as early Busse's and Randall's.
    If you bought at a reasonable price I don't think you can go wrong.

4. rick melear

rick melear Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998
    As to your question, the Sable III and IV are the best of the one piece in my opinion. I’ve owned a ton of one piece from back in the day and still have 4. Wish had kept most of them. I deer hunted for years with a shadow III in a pancake sheath on my belt

5. rick melear

rick melear Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Whoops, back to your real question, not sure what you paid but they’ll never be made again. If you enjoy it’s a fair price. Dollar value means little

6. Eversion

Eversion Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Lol is the knife in question the one I just bought from you? And did you get it from Rick Melear? :)

7. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    No I got it elsewhere, but did not own it long. Incredible knife, just too much blade for me. 3.75-4.25" seems to be the range for my purposes (deer hunting/field use). I got a Nyala around the same time--not quite as awesome, but more suited to my uses. A Mountaineer I or a Sable III would also be about perfect, but those are getting pretty rare.

Eversion likes this.
  8. Eversion

Eversion Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Understandable, it's just coincidence that there's so much talk about CRK OPK's lately then lol