Optimal EDC blade length

Yeah , I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling this in polite sensitive society . ;)

But , I've been pleasantly surprised how easy it is to front pocket carry on my hikes . :cool::thumbsup:

Compare the "folding sword" to an average size EDC :

That’s the Espada XL right? Surprisingly, I was expecting more knife to stick out beyond the pocket clip lol.

Folders - 3.75" - 4.25"
Fixed I'm all over the place! In the city smaller, 2.5" - 3.5"!!! Outside the concrete canyons of Manhattan I go big 4" - 8"+!!

Also depends on time of day too! Night time in industrial areas I also keep a dummybegood stick handy with a label on it that says tire check just in case any big cockroaches slither out!!

Spyderco Endura is a good blade length for me, so 3.75 inches.
The Endura is an excellent model for new knife collectors and veterans alike. Lots of blade length in a slim, light package. Clips to my pocket and it doesn’t bother me at all. Fantastic knife. Only gripe is that the handle’s a tad too skinny, but it’s really just a trifle.

I prefer 4-5" as I feel it's the most versatile. Anything under 4" feels a bit too small for things like food prep, and over 5" is usually too bulky for EDC.

Smaller knives are for when I'm around the house or have a larger fixed blade in my pack or jacket. Or if I'm wearing a suit...

Folder 2.75" - 4" depending on the day / task.

Fixed no more than 2.5" on a work day, anything larger would be on my own time usually outside the city.

For me? 3.4 inches.

3.25 is also good.

Long enough to cut a burger in half, short enough for more delicate tasks. A do-all.

I cheat a bit in that I usually have a SAK and then a modern folder so I can get the benefit of a small unintimidating folder when there are people around. But for my primary blade I have found that I can get away with under 3 inches if I am honest with myself on a regular day...but I really prefer 3.4 inches and up. That length just has a more substantial capable feeling about it and it has certain advantages. It is long enough to get through the common sized apple or fruit so you dont have to split it in two cuts. Secondly, when breaking down cardboard if you get your thumb on the spine too close to the cardboard being cut it is easy to get a nasty paper cut or should i say, Cardboard cut. Having the longer blade allows you to push that material out further away from your hand.

Usually around 3.25" to 3.5" for work (seems to be prefect for my daily cutting)

3.5" to 4" out of work

I usually carry folders with 3.25-3.75" blades, because they hit the sweet spot of being easy enough to carry and having a handle that fits my hands.

Apologies if this has been done before, but I’m curious what works best for you based on preferences and context. Personally, my tastes are kind of all over the place, but I carry generally from the 3.5” to 5.5” neighborhood. No particular reason. Though by no means would I feel underknifed with a 3.0” or slightly less for everyday tasks. I’ve found smaller knives to be more convenient for opening packages.
In winter with sometimes heavy gloves, I have to go with a knife on which I can pinch the blade open, assuming I'm not carrying a fixed blade. This usually means a Buck 110. More blade than I usually need at three and three-quarters inches, but not a difficult carry in a jacket or Carhartt coveralls pocket.

In warmer weather, or with lighter gloves, I will sometimes use a smaller blade around three inches like a Buck 112 or Opinel N°8, but I still prefer a longer blade like the 110, Opinel N°10, Mora Robust Pro, Malanika puukko at four inches. Again, more blade than I usually need, but I am comfortable with a bit of overkill.

Zieg

Back