Option you wished were available in a kydex sheath

Items you wish your kydex sheath could accommodate? For hiking or SHTF type situations.

I have been thinking about this.

a lot of guys like to have fire steel with them etc. what are your opinions?

front pocket carry that can handle cards and some cash? Accurate compass? Water tight match storage? Space for tough cloth storage?

I dunno let’s kick around some ideas...

Last edited:
For my bushcraft style sheaths, I just add a nylon pouch that will hold an Altoids tin. Amazing what you can fit in one if you think it through.

Perfect this is what I was thinking. I think that would be really handy.

I was also thinking about attachment for certain weapon cleaning tools. Like an Otis bore scrubber or pick for an AR bolt.

On my dedicated hunting knife for whitetails and hogs (Lionsteel M4 in M390), I have a custom ceramic rod I built attached to touch up the blade in the field if needed. I also have a Benchmade rescue strap cutter for splitting hide attached to the front using the supplied nylon sheath and a molle clip. The reason I use the strap cutter is the hide on the deer, and especially the hogs, will dull any knife steel quickly, even M390. I use the strap cutter to split the hide and then the knife for skinning. Once this hunting season is over and I have time, I'll make a smaller secondary kydx sheath to attach to the front of the primary sheath and hold the strap cutter (less bulk). In the pic, it's the rig up top next to the row of folders.

Collection 1.jpg

For my bushcraft style sheaths, I just add a nylon pouch that will hold an Altoids tin. Amazing what you can fit in one if you think it through.
Perfect this is what I was thinking. I think that would be really handy.

Ronnie (Hale Storm) makes a really nice sheath in that style. Here's one he did for me for a Fiddleback Production Camp Knife with the tin holder and firesteel loop. It's awesome.

aXsiFsS.jpg

Ronnie (Hale Storm) makes a really nice sheath in that style. Here's one he did for me for a Fiddleback Production Camp Knife with the tin holder and firesteel loop. It's awesome.

aXsiFsS.jpg

I remember this rig. It was the first time I'd seen a Fiddleback Forge knife in person and why I have one on my "must own" list.
Thanks for the compliment. I do appreciate it. You'll notice that all those edges are rounded and polished and there is a full kydex plate for the pouch to attach for strength and stability. I try to pay attention to the details. I bet no one ever notices that all of the screws line up on the sheath as well. :D I'm not OCD but I do get that way when building sheaths. LOL

Anyway, back to the thread.
I don't have a pic handy at work right now but I like to add the firesteel on one side, the ceramic rod on the other side, and the pouch with tin in the middle. If you have enough skills and are in the right environment, with the right items in the tin, you could go several days or longer in the wild, with just what is carried on your hip with the right knife and sheath. There are tons of threads and videos about what survival items and SHTF items will fit in those tins.

Here's a pic of just a hunting rig with a large ceramic rod attached to the front. I've spent many, many days and nights in the wild by choice, some with just a survival rig like we are discussing. I've also spent a few days and nights in the wild that were not by choice (lost and/or 555.jpg 560.jpg 561.jpg injured) and that is why I recommend that anyone always carry a firesteel, and you see most sheaths with a loop for that purpose. Even if someone will look and find you the next day, or you're capable of getting out yourself, a fire at night will solve a number of issues if you're forced to spend the night in the wilderness.

I e
On my dedicated hunting knife for whitetails and hogs (Lionsteel M4 in M390), I have a custom ceramic rod I built attached to touch up the blade in the field if needed. I also have a Benchmade rescue strap cutter for splitting hide attached to the front using the supplied nylon sheath and a molle clip. The reason I use the strap cutter is the hide on the deer, and especially the hogs, will dull any knife steel quickly, even M390. I use the strap cutter to split the hide and then the knife for skinning. Once this hunting season is over and I have time, I'll make a smaller secondary kydx sheath to attach to the front of the primary sheath and hold the strap cutter (less bulk). In the pic, it's the rig up top next to the row of folders.

View attachment 1223062
Nice!

Here's a pic of just a hunting rig with a large ceramic rod attached to the front. I've spent many, many days and nights in the wild by choice, some with just a survival rig like we are discussing. I've also spent a few days and nights in the wild that were not by choice (lost and/or View attachment 1236943 View attachment 1236944 View attachment 1236945 injured) and that is why I recommend that anyone always carry a firesteel, and you see most sheaths with a loop for that purpose. Even if someone will look and find you the next day, or you're capable of getting out yourself, a fire at night will solve a number of issues if you're forced to spend the night in the wilderness.

very nice!

I agree with post #2. On larger knife sheaths you can have two pouches with Altoids tin if so desired.

Back