orange camillus new york pushbutton blade and seatbelt cutter?

I hope some of you can enlighten me on this knife I was given that was my grandfathers. It is a Camillus new york and it has orange handles. it has a blade that opens automatically with the push of a button and on the other side of the knife, it has a seatbelt cutter type hook blade. Does anyone know about this knife and what model or history behind it? Thanks for any info!

Does your knife look like this?
8c9de829.jpg

Short answer for the MC-1
US Air Force contracted for these in 57.
Used mostly by the Air Force and Navy for air crews but they show up in other places.
Three companies made these; Camillus, Schrade, & Logan/Smyth.
The knife was intended to be carried with the shroud hook open. A special thigh pocket was designed into flight suits specifically to carry this knife.
The Air Force canceled the contract for these knives in 1993.
Camillus continued to make these until they closed. Only available to active duty military and LEO due to switch blade laws.
Colonial presently makes an updated version of this knife with changes to the construction and basic blade shape. Called the M724.

You see them on the bay but the seller has to be careful not to say it is a full automatic knife.

Does your knife look like this?
8c9de829.jpg

Short answer for the MC-1
US Air Force contracted for these in 57.
Used mostly by the Air Force and Navy for air crews but they show up in other places.
Three companies made these; Camillus, Schrade, & Logan/Smyth.
The knife was intended to be carried with the shroud hook open. A special thigh pocket was designed into flight suits specifically to carry this knife.
The Air Force canceled the contract for these knives in 1993.
Camillus continued to make these until they closed. Only available to active duty military and LEO due to switch blade laws.
Colonial presently makes an updated version of this knife with changes to the construction and basic blade shape. Called the M724.

that is what I have! any idea on how to figure out what production year it is? i am guessing since it was my Grandpa's that it is fairly old......

Here is a close up of the tang stamp on my knife, ( not a very good one by the way). Camillus would make changes to the tang stamp over the years. That would be where I’d start in trying to narrow down when your knife was made. It’s likely that the best you could do is place it in a period of time as apposed to something like the specific year that it was produced

DCP_1448.jpg

Back