Order on the way....

Obviously defective and total junk. Send it up right away while there's still time.

It seems like we should call Thamar's mark a swastika, since the word "swastika" comes from the sanskrit word for this mark, while "Fylfot" is a term used by british heraldry for this mark???
One of my Thamar khukuris (one of the recent discounted Yek chirras without a sheath) has the arms on the mark angled to the left, rather than to the right, so I guess it depends on which way he's holding the blade when he marks it, or on some other reason? Or could there be a mirror-image twin Thamar that does everything in reverse?

Hopefully my Thamar TC shows up this week :)

So whats the tried and tested method to getting these things past the wife / girlfriend?

I see a few possibilities;

1. Tell her it only cost $20...
2. Tell her iv had it for ages and she just never noticed it (I successfully used this one the other day with some machetes)
3. Tell her i got it because its a hindu knife (shes hindu), and it only cost $20
4. Tell her I need it for gardening
5. Hide it. She can never know!

Other ideas? Some of you must have some good tips :D

I'd definitely go with # 3. And remember if a lie doesn't work, try the truth. It's never worked for me but maybe for you.

Also easier to beg forgiveness that to beg permission.

I cant seem to find your addy?

I'll PM it to you. I don't want to post it on the forum and have everybody sending me their junk defective Thamar knives.

Guy can only take so much ya know? Yeah right.

I'd definitely go with # 3. And remember if a lie doesn't work, try the truth. It's never worked for me but maybe for you.

Hahahaha. Yea i know about that one. If you ask and she says no, and you do it anyway then your in deep s***.
If you don't ask and do it anyway, your in trouble, but not as much. Lol.

After fourteen hand rubbed oil coats on the wood handles on the Tin Chirra and Bone Cutter, several coats of mineral oil on the horn handles of the CAK and M43 along with many coats is bowling alley wax, my Kukri's are ready for show. Nothing gaudy, I left all the wood pours open and did not fill them in with sanding dust like I would with a guyln stock. Very sharp IMHO.

nzedge, I vote 5, then 3 and 4 together if she finds it! Or better yet, maybe 2 won't even be a lie if you hide it well enough. My go to move is to immediately use the knife, then it doesn't look as new when you pull the old "had it for a while" move, which, by the way, works on disapproving friends as well as family :)

Yes! Forgiveness always works in time. Permission almost never works and you get damned for asking so I say forgive and forget.

Thats way cool MBob! I havent noticed the direction. Maybe south of the equator you get one and north you get the other. Kinda like hurricanes vs typhoons. Ill have to look at mine and see which side of the equator they were designed to chop on?

ok, so its a $20 hindu garden knife then :D

In all seriousness, it's a way to get some funds to earthquake-ravaged Nepal, and support the local enterprise there (at the grass-roots level). Good karma and great knives!

I second what Steve said. I like to think of each purchase as a donation that comes with an awesome knife. Of course, rounding up on purchases when possible helps too :)

Its here =D (my thamar TC) and its beautiful.
Arrived well packaged with lots of oil on the blade.

Its a work of art, and lighter than I expected, which is good because it makes it more carry-able.
Its also much sharper out of the box than I had envisioned a Kukri to be.

Will get some pics up when I have some time later

Thanks Yangdu! :) My first of hopefully many HI blades.

Wow, that was pretty fast. New Zealand is a far piece.

Happy new Khukri to you, you sure started off with a nice keeper. One of of many favorites in my house. Sheesh, I seem to have developed a stutter or maybe my keyboard is skipping??

Happy new knife!

Thanks for the happy new knife blessing =D

Yep I was surprised as well with how quick it came :) was more expecting it around the end of the week.
I have "broken the ice" and sent an ominous picture of the kami's marking / swastika to the girlfriend. I got a rather blunt message back "dont message me" LOL. I think its working..?

You looking for a new girlfriend or what? It looks like one but it's really not a swastika so it's politically correct to anyone that cares, I certainly don't myself.

"Don't message me" sounds like maybe a Dear nzedge letter to me.

Don't forget the pictures hmmm? The knife, not the girlfriend, well the girlfriend is ok to I reckon long as they's tasteful.
Maybe the girlfriend holding the knife? Or not........

hahaha lol, ill try sort that one out later (girlfriend with knife).

So here she is! (the knife I mean). Really beautiful knife. I feel lucky to own it. I only had a couple of mins to take pictures but ill try take more later on.
image_zpsnzerrmm0.jpeg

image_zpsbt8wu87z.jpeg

image_zps7ssyrohn.jpeg

image_zpsg7wslyqf.jpeg

image_zpsuwxdpryg.jpeg

Back