Ordered several knives back in early March and still waiting

Not sure if it is normal to wait 12 weeks without hearing so much as a whisper about progress. I emailed kailash asking about it on week 9 and was told it was in the newest forging batch. But then nothing afterwards. I emailed them again at week 11, and received no reply. The time line i was given before i ordered anything was 8 to 9 weeks to my door (from order date). I would never have ordered anything if i had known this was going to happen. I don't mind waiting at all as long as time lines are honoured to some degree. Let me also add that my partner ordered knives from them about a month after I did, and he sent an email asking about a timeline and they replied saying that his will be started by the end of next week. Maybe the extra wait is because i changed details about my order? I wouldn't think that would affect anything since it happened within the first month-ish and they hadn't started anyway.
Anyway, hoping someone here knows what's going on. Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Hi Tuna,

I just received my two blades a couple of days ago. I ordered back in February. I know they have been dealing with Covid issues etc. I can say the wait is worth it very much as the two khukuris I received are absolutely of outstanding quality. I will post a review of mine once I can figure out how to get pics of mine up.

Arvind

Hi Tuna,

I just received my two blades a couple of days ago. I ordered back in February. I know they have been dealing with Covid issues etc. I can say the wait is worth it very much as the two khukuris I received are absolutely of outstanding quality. I will post a review of mine once I can figure out how to get pics of mine up.

Arvind
Thanks for your reply. I have no doubt the knives will exceed my expectations. I just wanted some sort of indication of how long i would be waiting because the timeframes i recieved have passed. It just had a part of me wondering if it was a really elaborate scam. Anyway. Im happy to wait just paranoid as hell because i spent hundreds on those knives.

Thanks for your reply. I have no doubt the knives will exceed my expectations. I just wanted some sort of indication of how long i would be waiting because the timeframes i recieved have passed. It just had a part of me wondering if it was a really elaborate scam. Anyway. Im happy to wait just paranoid as hell because i spent hundreds on those knives.

Hey there Tuna! Sorry to hear you're feeling like you've been left in the dark, that's not the kind of experience we want to be offering. If you reach out to any of the team members and request an update/photos/even a video they should be able to help you out pretty promptly. If you've emailed me and haven't received a reply it may be because I've been off on a trek for the last 2 weeks then have been at a staff members wedding for 2 days and am just getting back on top of tasks now. I had an out of office replier setup but it may have landed in spam. I have about 40 emails to get through still so if you let me know your order number I can get you an update right now as I check BF every morning.

In terms of overall wait time the team are also extra stretched right now due to my visit. I'm taking their resources and time up by asking questions and getting help with experiments etc which is a bit of an unforeseen cause of delay. Another factor that could be affecting you is a kydex holdup- depending on where your order is in the queue this could have added 3-4 weeks. We've had a shipment of sheet and importantly eyelets be held at the border for about 1.5 months. This is due to a new law the nepalese government has put in place to restrict imports on luxury goods (as part of an attempt to reduce inflation and have better liquidity). The customs officer have been waiting for the guidelines to come into force before sorting the held shipments. They've received that 2 weeks ago and we'll be getting our much needed eyelets within a week.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Thanks, Andrew, you also most likely answered MY question as well. Not concerned, tho. Once upon a time, the phrase 'things are tough all over' was considered a somewhat humorous reply. Sadly, it seems those days are gone, along with humor in general. Although, a smart-ass like me can always find something to laugh about. Hope you get things sorted out!

Thanks, Andrew, you also most likely answered MY question as well. Not concerned, tho. Once upon a time, the phrase 'things are tough all over' was considered a somewhat humorous reply. Sadly, it seems those days are gone, along with humor in general. Although, a smart-ass like me can always find something to laugh about. Hope you get things sorted out!
Thanks for your understanding- we're doing a lot better these days and things are progressing quite smoothly comparatively. The main issue is that we're still dealing with the flow on effects of delays that occurred last year. Getting back to our usual production capacity stops delays from growing. However to start chopping down the wait time we need to ramp up production- we need to almost double our output for 2 months to get things back to where they were. Right now the team is on 6.5 days a week with an extended work day compared to usual. We're also a month into the induction period of introducing another experienced smith to our team. Adding another would be ideal to speed up the return to normality but what happens once we're back to our ideal turnaround time? We've got too many smiths and not enough orders :S Not a great position to put an employee in so it's something that needs to be approached tentatively.
I'll update the website with some more nuanced information on our current delays and what the next few months should look.
Take care,

Hey there Tuna! Sorry to hear you're feeling like you've been left in the dark, that's not the kind of experience we want to be offering. If you reach out to any of the team members and request an update/photos/even a video they should be able to help you out pretty promptly. If you've emailed me and haven't received a reply it may be because I've been off on a trek for the last 2 weeks then have been at a staff members wedding for 2 days and am just getting back on top of tasks now. I had an out of office replier setup but it may have landed in spam. I have about 40 emails to get through still so if you let me know your order number I can get you an update right now as I check BF every morning.

In terms of overall wait time the team are also extra stretched right now due to my visit. I'm taking their resources and time up by asking questions and getting help with experiments etc which is a bit of an unforeseen cause of delay. Another factor that could be affecting you is a kydex holdup- depending on where your order is in the queue this could have added 3-4 weeks. We've had a shipment of sheet and importantly eyelets be held at the border for about 1.5 months. This is due to a new law the nepalese government has put in place to restrict imports on luxury goods (as part of an attempt to reduce inflation and have better liquidity). The customs officer have been waiting for the guidelines to come into force before sorting the held shipments. They've received that 2 weeks ago and we'll be getting our much needed eyelets within a week.

Take care,
Many thanks for your reply. 2 of the knives i ordered have kydex sheaths so that explains it.
I'm not sure who i emailed, i just pressed the reply button. And didn't actually see who it was going to.
Hope everything runs smoothly for you guys coming forward.

My friend saw my 11" Panawal and had to have one! I told him there was a wait and he didn't care.
He couldn't believe how good my blade looked. Called it "deal of the century".

My friend saw my 11" Panawal and had to have one! I told him there was a wait and he didn't care.
My question is how did you decide on just 1?? I initially wanted one knife but i just could not decide between the sirupate and the HSI. So naturally, i ordered both. And now i want a 3rd and I'm desperately trying to tell myself that i don't need a third. I want to use them when i go out bush (which is every weekend just about) and currently the only argument is that i can treat it like jewellery. As a woman i naturally have more earrings than ears. Why can't i have more knives than i do arms.
The mental gymnastics can be brutal.

That's fantastic to hear. This kind of feedback is great for the team so I'll make sure to pass it on to the guys.

My question is how did you decide on just 1?? I initially wanted one knife but i just could not decide between the sirupate and the HSI. So naturally, i ordered both. And now i want a 3rd and I'm desperately trying to tell myself that i don't need a third. I want to use them when i go out bush (which is every weekend just about) and currently the only argument is that i can treat it like jewellery. As a woman i naturally have more earrings than ears. Why can't i have more knives than i do arms.
The mental gymnastics can be brutal.

It's a tale as old as time unfortunately. I think you should hold on until you've got your HSI and sirupate to help influence knife number 3. I think that a broader chopping khukuri could give a pretty unique experience to either blade. Depending on your size preference you could go an mk1 or if you'd like something more compact there's a new model coming just around the corner which could hit the nail on the head...

That's fantastic to hear. This kind of feedback is great for the team so I'll make sure to pass it on to the guys.

It's a tale as old as time unfortunately. I think you should hold on until you've got your HSI and sirupate to help influence knife number 3. I think that a broader chopping khukuri could give a pretty unique experience to either blade. Depending on your size preference you could go an mk1 or if you'd like something more compact there's a new model coming just around the corner which could hit the nail on the head...
I've already got several more I'm trying to prioritize. I'll be down to dice rolling before long...

Any chance it's related to that recent instagram post of the 13 inch 2 chirra? Cause that thing looks hawt
Unfortunately not- that's a custom order for a local that's been handled entirely by the nepal side of the team. usually I'm involved with these in the patternmaking and spec side but it's good to see such a good result coming from the team working independently. Could easily be replicated if desired.

Obviously this is an older thread.

Did the OP ever receive his order? I saw a couple people on a different forum complaining about missed delivery dates and complete lack of communication, so I came here to see if others are experiencing problems. It seems they are.

Gotta say this is really disappointing as I had planned to order on for delivery in the fall.

My experience was great. Good comms, I was told there would be a "wait", which didn't bother me at all. (Try ordering a Les Tam 1903 sling and waiting 2 years.)
My friend just received photos from Kailash, indicating that his blade would soon be mailed out.

All in all, the wait was well worth it. I still can't believe I got this incredible blade for such a reasonable price. Blows away my blade I sent back to HI.

My experience was great. Good comms, I was told there would be a "wait", which didn't bother me at all. (Try ordering a Les Tam 1903 sling and waiting 2 years.)
My friend just received photos from Kailash, indicating that his blade would soon be mailed out.

All in all, the wait was well worth it. I still can't believe I got this incredible blade for such a reasonable price. Blows away my blade I sent back to HI.
Good feedback. I have yet to see even a single negative comment about the product as delivered.

I have become more cautious over the last couple years. Too many businesses are using pandemic disruptions as a blanket excuse to cover pretty much everything. I am not saying that this is the case here, but as I said, I have become cautious.

For example, what is suddenly unavailable that would explain what seems to be a doubling of delivery times (along with little or no communication from the company)? Like I said earlier, I saw this issue (massive delay, no updates on pending orders, emails unanswered) being discussed on a different forum. That's not the pandemic. It looks like something is significantly wrong.

I hope that I am mistaken. I hope they get their act together. I liked their designs and everything I saw about the company. Until now.

Back