Original "Bowie"(?) Knife

I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a knife I found some 20 years ago while hunting. This is a clip point straight blade, overall length 10 3/4", blade length 6". With the point to my right, the face of the blade has the words "Original ----- (possibly Bowie) Knife" lightly etched near the spine. On the same side, stamped near the hilt, are two words, "Solingen" and "---mark" (Denmark?). On the flip side, the number "433" is stamped near the hilt. Can anyone tell me something about this?

Also, a repair type question. The grip appears to consist of 10 leather disks separated by a metal wafer. Each leather disk may be split, so a total of 20 then. The disks seem to be loose, so they can pivot slightly. Is there any way to cause these disks to swell, so it has a tight fit again? Soak the handle in neatsfoot oil, something along those lines? Thanks.

Oops, I just read the "tuning fork" sticky. Sorry, I wasn't trying to overstep any boundaries. I just couldn't find any real info except on EvilBay, which I have not found to be very trustworthy. Sorry again.

Back