1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Style Mnandi vs New Style Mnandi

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by nyefmaker, Apr 28, 2013.

1. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    To my eyes, it seems the older nail nick is a more precise bit of machining there. I have no idea how they would have made that sharply defined edge, and the two textures on the old nick, but its pretty fantastic. Looks to me like the original Mnandis were a bit of over achieving, and they had to simplify to keep costs down, or production up. I hate to say it, but like the new umnum pivot, CRK is not above dumbing things down a bit from time to time. I love the brand, but you gotta call a spade a spade, that new nail nick looks a lot easier to produce to me. I don't think everything they do is by definition an improvement, just cause CRK did it. This looks like a cost saving.

2. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I have a new style mnandi on the way, should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to try it and see how much I like the newer design. I do not currently have an old to compare it to, but I still have a good memory of how it felt in hand.....!!!

3. Big_E

Big_E

Nov 17, 2011
    Initially, i didn't like the new clip, but now prefer it. The pivot isn't a concern, as the scale is more of the driving factor for me. IMO, the later Snakewood and Box Elder is better than the early stuff. I only own one with S35V, and i would totally agree with a previous post. They're saving manufacturing cost with the new blade. There is no way i can be convinced otherwise. Although, I do love the one S35V blade I own.

Lastly, the polished portion of the Damascus doesn't bother me at all. I wish they hadn't done it, but it won't keep me from future purchases.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  4. Locutus D'Borg

Locutus D'Borg

Dec 1, 2012
    As pointed out before, CRK is now polishing the lock bar side of the blade near the tang (the pivot area) of damascus Mnandis to respond to complaints of gritty feeling when opening. This has resulted in the new (meaning as of last month or so) damascus Mnandis opening easier with one hand, but the downside being the polished steel being visible when opening the blade.

For those that don't own one, if you go to sites that sell damascus Mnandis, and view the photo of the lock side of the open knife, you will see a slight sliver of plain steel near the tang. That indicates a very new Mnandi.

Aesthetically, this does not bother me, and I like the fact that they open easier with one hand. But it does bother some owners. Just be aware.

5. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I have always had the old style mnandi in the past, but never the newer version. Yesterday I finally got my hands on the newer updated version. Its funny because I have not had a mnandi for so long and have been carrying the large sebenzas, I forgot how tiny it is....lol. My new mnandi is perfect throughout. I will say though, that I immediately did not like the new nail nick. It makes it impossible to open one handed. Though I always considered a mnandi to be like a slip joint as to where you needed two hands anyways, it never bothered me. But I did try every way I could think of to open it one handed to no avail. Oh well, no biggie. I do believe the much stronger detent is part of the reason the knife is much harder to open with the new nail nick. Mine is plenty strong. I don't mind the stronger detents. I would much rather have that than a weak detent knife opening in my pocket and....Ouch....!!! I do think the larger pivot logo looked better than the smaller one currently used, bot no deal breaker either. I also think the older clip was nicer and if you did not want the clip, you could simply remove it. With this style, you do indeed need the extra screw. There is alot more machining in this newer clip from what it looks like. The Bocote wood is beautiful and this mnandi is SOOOO Sharp, you could shave with it..........!!! I know CRK makes changes to improve the design and their process and the mnandi is still a beautiful little knife as evident of its popularity. But there are some things on the older version that makes the little knife much more user friendly. In the years to come, I am sure I will have more in Both Styles...............Will post pics asap. Its a crappy rainy day and want nice bright pics outside.

6. masterserg

masterserg

Jan 4, 2011
    The differences are very small but I do prefer the old style (same as I prefer a Regular over a 21 or 25 any day of the week ... purely for aesthetic reasons).

What I HATE is the polishing they are putting on the damascus blades now (around the pivot). I don't understand this change, and it looks very sloppy in my opinion. It is unbecoming.

7. marblegoby

marblegoby

Mar 2, 2012
    Its a boon for us in Australia as the old Mnandi can be confiscated by our customs as it can be easily opened single handed or 'with centrifugal force' as our authorities call it. I was lucky to buy an Umnumzaan in 2011 (but regrettably sold it when I got married) so for us in Australia we can only purchase the Mnandi among CRK folders. Strangely enough, we have no problem importing fighting knives that will do more damage in the hands of a maniac.

8. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    Maybe this was the motivating factor for CRK. The new mnandi nick might be a better seller in areas with strict knife laws.

9. Big_E

Big_E

Nov 17, 2011

ummmm, don't think so. it's a knife they couldn't keep in stock at dealers with the old style nick. don't think making modifications to an excellent selling product to sell even more of that same product was a priority for them.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  10. Ely

Ely

Jun 19, 2018
    Resurrecting an old thread! Just got a Spalted Beech Mnandi, birth card July 2017, that has what feels like a slight detent just before lockup. That is to say that the Framelock moves in slightly and has a distinct click sound before the knife is actually in full lockup position. When opening at regular speed it sounds like one click, but when opening very slowly I hear two.

I wonder if this is an issue with the old vs new, or perhaps not an issue at all and I am simply not used to it coming from my Small Inkosi. Thoughts?

11. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    It is just the detent ball passing off the side of the blade tang and the flat inside of the lockbar hitting the side of the tang.

Ely likes this.
  12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

What you're hearing is simply the lockbar dropping off the washer. Sebenzas do it too if you open them slowly.

Ely likes this.
  13. JBoone

JBoone Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2012
    I just got out of bed to check my only mnandi b-day. July 30 2012. I can open with one hand is this old style?

[​IMG]

14. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    That's a new style.

JBoone likes this.
  15. JBoone

JBoone Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks!
    Interested when change was made?

16. Lone_Wolfe