Original thread on car wax on bolsters

I just know some wonkhead out there is going to soak his waxed 110 in brine to prove this practice wrong, so here is where I believe I first read about using car wax on bolsters to prevent oxidation...

Bolster discoloration

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202403&highlight=wax

There's lots of other threads, promoting Ren Wax, Flix cloths, Brasso, etc; but I don't have those but I do have Turtle Wax so I tried it and it does work.

However, if it doesn't, the guy to blame is at the last post of the above thread. ;)

110 Dave

Gold Member
trax - i also had heard of that... and i may have even seen that thread it seems like i had but you kno of all the things i miss as i get old it is my mind i miss the most... also ...
oh yes btw- Leroy Reamer - former buck custom shop man- highly recomeands wax on demascuss baldes also to prevent the rust hiting the layers of higher carbon steel- he sent me one back and i uhg - cut my self it was so sharp... an I do know how to handle knives but that was sharpest blade i think i ever got cut with... well cept'n maby by the doc... but i sleept through that ... well no not all of them .. woke up during the knee replacement asked if it was a mule-walky sided grinder he was useing there:confused: ... he looked at me and then over my head and i went to sleep again... and here i wanted to watch...

oh yea wax works great! used in in navy also because of salt spray...on brass buckles and other bright work... ;)

334dave said:
oh yea wax works great! used in in navy also because of salt spray...on brass buckles and other bright work... ;)
Dave,
You know in the Navy, if it doesn't move it either gets painted or polished. :D So a smart Bos'n will pull a few tricks out of his sleeve to lessen the work load. :thumbup:
Mike

110 Dave

Gold Member
Bos'n.... hummm now i wander were he learned that word...
hay- got pig boat?

Welp some of the cleaning products out there (like Weiman Metal Polish) claim to clean and polish. So now I'm wondering if there would be any added value to further polishing with Turtle Wax or what have you. I may have to try it and see.

334dave said:
Bos'n.... hummm now i wander were he learned that word...
hay- got pig boat?
OK, well, in my pig boat days it would have been the TM's! Is that better?

Hey, don't you people know that Flitz Metal Polish is the best stuff in the world for stuff like stainless steel and brass? I have a Colt Gold Cup and an Officers Model that I could use for a mirror to shave with. Just polish those bolsters a few minutes about once a month and then if you want to put your turtle wax on. Don't really have to though. Flitz will keep it looking like gleaming gold! Just don't use it on silver or gold!!

Tok

I used to like the shiny look on the 110's bolsters. Now I do like the tarnished look better. It has a different kind of character.

Tok said:
I used to like the shiny look on the 110's bolsters. Now I do like the tarnished look better. It has a different kind of character.

Do you also like the rusty look on the blades? That is a different kind of character, however, one that I do not want.

Tok

nolan raborn said:
Do you also like the rusty look on the blades? That is a different kind of character, however, one that I do not want.

Ha. Whoa... that's a good question.

Humm..... let me think carefully before I answer...... um.. ok, no, I don't like rusty blades.

To the best of my knowkedge, we are discussing bolsters here. :rolleyes:

Yup.

nolan raborn said:

Most of the 110 blades are stainless, so rust is not a problem. I have over 100 carbon steel knives and none are rusty unless I bought them that way & haven't gotten around to cleaning them yet. A minimum of use and a light coat of oil will prevent rust on the blades and back springs. The patina that carbon steel knives develop actually helps to prevent rust.

If the brass bolsters build up a nice even patina (like a carbon steel blade) they can look nice. There are times that I would prefer not to have a bright shiny knife.

Dale

PS- I do keep my guns clean, but not shiny........too long in the Marine Corps. :D

110 Dave

Gold Member
Mike Kerins said:
OK, well, in my pig boat days it would have been the TM's! Is that better?
hot da-m well shiXXX in my flat hat...if i could find it
i should have known for shure even tho i had not seen you type ''now this is a no shXXer..'';)
yea TM's.. yeaaaa had a ftr MK 38 as a pillow back then... no honnymoon rack for me ! man is that going back some times i think i can hear kalaxons... or is that jest the ringing in my ears?:confused:

my question is why some brass is darker then others even when polished, some is almost white like nickel... difrent mixes i guess?

334dave said:
my question is why some brass is darker then others even when polished, some is almost white like nickel... difrent mixes i guess?
Dave,
My guess is it has a lot to do with what the brass was designed to do. Depending on that the type and amount of compounds used to create it would vary. A lot of the sound powered phone circuit boxes were darker than for example the turn buckles used on lifelines.

Mike Kerins said:
Depending on that the type and amount of compounds used to create it would vary.

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. More copper = darker; more zinc = lighter.

The older Bucks look lighter to me when polished. More yellow-ish. Could be my imagination. ;)

chickentrax said:
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. More copper = darker; more zinc = lighter.

The older Bucks look lighter to me when polished. More yellow-ish. Could be my imagination. ;)
Precisely......but I think part two is mostly your imagination! :D :eek: :D :eek:

Mike Kerins said:
Precisely......but I think part two is mostly your imagination! :D :eek: :D :eek:

Well, the really old Bucks [like that 1963 110] were cast...my Machinery's Handbook lists a bunch of brass compositions, some with more zinc...yellow brass castings are high in zinc...

110 Dave

Gold Member
Mike Kerins said:
Dave,
My guess is it has a lot to do with what the brass was designed to do. Depending on that the type and amount of compounds used to create it would vary. A lot of the sound powered phone circuit boxes were darker than for example the turn buckles used on lifelines.

humm i do belive you are right... mostly i was concerened with copper connections in foward and aft battries ... TM's keep their doors realy nice ... i got sent as a new non qual to other end to get can of coffie and :eek: ... well you no dought know it is DARK in there...:confused: