1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Original vs. new Leatherman Wave

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by mnblade, Sep 8, 2010.

1. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I have both the current production Wave with the phillips/regular removable bit screwdriver, and the original version with the long phillips ...

[​IMG]

I love how all the tools on the newer version lock. But damn I wish they'd have kept that longer phillips.

I also really dig the leather case that came with the original models.

Which do you guys prefer?

2. Hateman

Hateman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2000
    +1 for the Original Wave. I bought a couple of extras when I found out they were disco'd. The new version has locking implements; I just don't like the lock's position. Sometimes I wonder why Leatherman changed it; a sweet tool for average use.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I have sort of a retro, old school streak in me, so I dig the old Wave. Plus, they tend to be looser, and you don't have to fight with them as much as the new Waves.

4. cdf

cdf

Nov 12, 2004
    I also prefer the old model . My longest running Multitool relationship !

Chris

5. canook

canook

Jul 12, 2009
    I prefer having dedicated implements on a multi tool, I fint it kind of a pain in the butt having to carry a bunch of bits with me. That's one of the reasons I carry a Swiss Tool.

6. MarineAir

MarineAir

Aug 6, 2010
    My new version Wave came with the molle pouch which I really liked while I was in the field. But now its more for hiking and edc for me and I ended up buying a regular belt sheath.

Never played with the old version so I can't speak to that.

7. blindviper1

blindviper1

May 31, 2009
    I broke the small flat blade screwdriver 3 years ago. I emailed customer support and they could guarantee they could replace it. And that I could get a new wave in its place. They only reason it hasn't been sent in.