1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Osage Runt on a crappie trip

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by _Westy_, Apr 11, 2017.

1. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    Last week a few buddies and I loaded up and headed south to Mississippi for some spring crappie fishing. Since the Runt hasn't left my pocket since I got it a few week's back it had to come along. Fishing was tough but we managed some nice ones and came home with several bags of filets per man. Top three fish weighted 2.71 lbs, 2.62 lbs and 2.46 lbs. We had a bunch right at the 2 lb range.

Runt in my buddy's 2072 War Eagle...

[​IMG]

130 horse Evinrude moves that 20 ft. boat really well

[​IMG]

View from the cabin - look at all that chocolate milk!

[​IMG]

Flooded timber

[​IMG]

Day one we spider rigged - 4 poles per man down there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We managed a few fish day one but they were short - this one is 11 3/4" and they need to be over 12" to be keepers so back in the water she went.

[​IMG]

Day #2 we changed tactics and set in on jigging stake beds - the electric chicken proved to be deadly...

[​IMG]

First keeper of day #2

[​IMG]

My biggest one - 2.46 lbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 nice ones...

[​IMG]

Keepers from day #2...

[​IMG]

Day #3 keepers...

[​IMG]

And this is probably my favorite shot from the trip - temps dropped Friday night and there was a little fog that set in on the lake as the sun came up...

[​IMG]

All the guys checked out the Runt and loved it.

2. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing

3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Man! Sign me up for that! I love crappie.

We've got several small lakes and ponds around town that have mostly little guys, I like to catch them on the fly rod every once in a while. :thumbup: Good eats.

4. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks guys. Odaon I am with you on the eating part - man they are good. I have got into some 12" crappie up here but they are no where near as heavy as the crappie down south, totally different critters it seems like.

Back to work carry...

[​IMG]

5. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Those are some of the biggest crappie I've ever seen. Looks like a great time. Thanks for the pictures :)

6. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    I really enjoyed your pictures and narrative-- thanks!

However, the thread title is my favorite part. :D

~ P.

7. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Great pics.

Thanks for sharing!

8. Scotcha

Scotcha

Oct 25, 2013
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

9. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Looks like it was good fun. The fish pics were great but the sun/lake/fog pic was my favorite - you can actually feel that one. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

10. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    That sounds fun!

11. adequacy

adequacy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Great pics! Did you filet with your runt?

12. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009

The Runt didn't filet any fish but it did a number on summer sausage. :thumbup:

13. MajorD

MajorD Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2007
    I just had a chance to check this out. Another great thread Matt!! Thanks for posting. That's a dandy little Runt!

14. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    how are you liking the scandi grind on the Runt?
    For some unknown reason to me, I've never really looked at them before this thread.