1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pelagicfun

Pelagicfun Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Has anyone fumed osage? Will it give it an aged look?

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Being very high in tannins, it should fume quite well.

Pelagicfun likes this.
  3. Pelagicfun

Oct 16, 2017
    Thank you. I made a quick setup for oak once. Was not sure if fuming was something that would work with a variety of woods.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm not sure why someone would fume a knife handle, but give it a try.

5. Pelagicfun

Oct 16, 2017
    Not for scales necessarily. I came into loads of it and looking for fun things to use it for.

6. Pelagicfun

Oct 16, 2017
    Cut a couple trailers full. Eventually I'll get tired of yellow. Figured I'd use it for these wood sheaths i like making. Screenshot_20190712-170959_Gallery.jpg

7. LCoop

LCoop

May 5, 2007
    You won't get tired of yellow for long. Osage slowly depending on sunlight exposure turns a golden brown to full out tan brown.

8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    At Bill Moran's estate auction, I bought a box of handle blanks/templates in walnut … or so I thought …. all a nice dark tan brown. He had cut the handle profile on them and marked what knife style it was for. I decided to use one to finish a blade Bill had forged by not finished. When I went to shape it, it turned yellow … all the templates were cut in Osage.

9. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    You got any pieces big enough for making bows? Its worth a fair bit as bow staves.

10. Pelagicfun

Oct 16, 2017
    6 whole trees that my dad cut down at least 20 years ago. 2 more that fell way back and have their root balls popped out. I can't wait to cut into the root wood and see if I can find figure. When I take a knife to them I only have to cut into them 1/8 or less to see that yellow. The rot resistance is amazing. I only have a medium sized Rikon saw and am tuning in my re-saw skills. Never cut bow length blanks before.

11. argel55

argel55

Oct 30, 2005
    Torch it to get some different colors going. Almost all I see around here is not left yellow but browned with a torch to get some contrast.